Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JRomero

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2006
Well first off, let me begin by saying that I have been a proud iPhone owner for 18 days now, and I couldn't be any happier with my purchase! :D

I was just wondering how often everyone wipes their screens down? I wipe my screen with the Apple provided cloth every night before I go to bed.

Your input is appreciated!

calculus

Dec 12, 2005
I used to clean mine about every five minutes but now not more than once a day.

Jim82

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2007
Seattle
Well first off, let me begin by saying that I have been a proud iPhone owner for 18 days now, and I couldn't be any happier with my purchase! :D

I was just wondering how often everyone wipes their screens down? I wipe my screen with the Apple provided cloth every night before I go to bed.

Your input is appreciated!

Almost never. But I use the PowerSupport Anti-Glare screen protectors.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
Since I have owned it since July 6, I rarely even think about wiping it off anymore. I don't even watch videos on it much anymore. I guess it gets wiped off on my shirt maybe once every few weeks.

MrT8064

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2006
UK
when i first got mine, it was a couple of times per day, now it just uses my pocket!!

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
All the time. Even with clean fingers, many times a day. I don't really notice with it on, but I use it a lot, and every time I turn the screen off I can see the smudges.

cwedl

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2003
When I first bought it, probably every 20 minutes, now normally once a day. do you notice it's always a person that plays with your iphone that makes the mess on the screen. Maybe us iPhone owners wash our hands!

snook911

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2007
Yorba Linda, CA
I would say I clean at least 6 to 7 times a day on my shirt. Its always out on my desk and while you can't tell while its on the smudges drive me crazy while the screen in black !!:D

TurboSC

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2007
California
I used to only clean the screen with the cloth it came with, then after a few weeks I just used the underside of my shirt, now I just wipe it with whatever, whenever.... hehe

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
For the first month, like every second :D. Now i wait till any noticable "blemishes." This includes oil from hands or anything. Mine always looks pristine.

Kashchei

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2002
Meat Space
I have cleaned it with iKlear twice since I got it on iDay. The last time was yesterday.

What is iKlear and do you recommend it? I tried Fellowes Screen Cleaning Wipes (made sure they contained neither alcohol nor acetone) and they didn't do such a great job.

spinstorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
Maybe one of the solutions is one of the clear screen protectors.

I have used Invisible shield and Bodyguardz which are basically the same thing...

Bodyguardz seems to be made of a smoother material which is even less visible than invisible shield!

So I would say the front of bodguardz is better but I would argue the rear protector of Invisible shield is better because it leaves spaces at the top and sides of the phone... some people will prefer the entire phone convered however I don't like it if the movement of the switches is impaired as I felt bodyguardz made happen.

From the perspective of just cheaper front screen protectors - the crystalfilm they sell in Apple stores is really good!

I have bought "normal" front screen protectors and they always leave bits at the bottom and side where they didn't stick properly but the crystalfilm being some static adhesive doesn't have that problem - it is flush to the screen which is very impressive!

I don't know how well it deals with stratches yet but I am sure I will find out soon enough!

Silverbird0000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2006
Fort Myers, FL
When I first bought it, probably every 20 minutes, now normally once a day. do you notice it's always a person that plays with your iphone that makes the mess on the screen. Maybe us iPhone owners wash our hands!

So true! When I use it, it doesn't get that dirty. But I was at a party today and people were wowed by it and it was such a mess. I always have clean hands when I use it, and I think people were eating and didn't wash the grease off their hands before playing with it. Bastards! LOL! Anyways, I usually wipe twice a day with the cloth it came with.

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
I wipe it down when there's anything that looks...

to be foreign. So, that means about every 30 seconds! My "other half" says I'm obsessed with my iPhone, MacBook, 23" Cinema Display, and 40" LCD Sony Bravia SCREENS! She told me I should just SLEEP with all of them and get over it!!! :cool:

macintel4me

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2006
My "other half" says I care more about Apple products than I do about her. And I thought I was doing such a good job of hiding it. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.