How often do you workout?

macfem

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2010
I have been working out every weekday for 3 years straight. Mostly cardio, recently I have added weight lifting and kickboxing to my schedule to spice things up.

iOrlando

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
my schedule is like this:

mon night: 35-40 min weights
tuesday night: 300 push ups, pull ups, dips, ab workout
wed night: off ab workout
thursday night 35-40 min weights ab workout
friday: 300 push ups, pull ups, dips, ab workout
saturday: cardio workout ab workout
sunday: 35-40 min weights

of course i skip days, fall asleep, etc, etc. but that is my stated goal haha.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Since I was 25 years old, I've been lifting weights three days a week (and it's an intense Navy workout- 50 reps total on everything). I get all my cardio from walking everywhere. Living in the city, you walk a lot and climb a lot of stairs.

iOrlando

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
Since I was 25 years old, I've been lifting weights three days a week (and it's an intense Navy workout- 50 reps total on everything). I get all my cardio from walking everywhere. Living in the city, you walk a lot and climb a lot of stairs.
what exactly does 50 reps do compared to doing a well-paced 12-14?

I use to do 1000 push ups in a sitting, and i see more results when doing 300 a sitting.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
I have kind of a core workout I do three times a week, and then a few extra stuff I do if I'm feeling up to it.

It centers around leg lifts, pushups and/or benchpress, weighted sit ups, military presses, squats, and my chinup bar.

But to answer your question, three times a week. While I'm very regular at it, I don't obsess over it and if I don't feel up it I either take it easy or skip it altogether.

I've been getting into Chen style Tai Chi and I like it. It's called an internal martial art; improves balance and energy.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
what exactly does 50 reps do compared to doing a well-paced 12-14?

I use to do 1000 push ups in a sitting, and i see more results when doing 300 a sitting.
The 50 reps are done in sets, and they are all well-paced. I'm 42 years old and have maintained a 32 in waist and a very lean, muscular body. I know what I'm doing. ;)

Here's how they work in 4 sets:

14 reps of my starting weight
14 reps adding 10 pounds
8 reps of the absolute most I can lift without losing form
14 reps back to my starting weight

I do this for every muscle group, and it's a killer, trust me. The 20-something guys who hit on me love it though. :)

MMM.PWR

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2009
Milwaukee
I'm usually at the gym no less than 4 days / week. Spend nearly 3 hours there with the time it takes to shower, spot my friend, misc.

This is our usual routine
-Chest/Biceps/Abs
-Back/Triceps/Abs
-Shoulders/Legs/Abs

When I go alone I add some cardio.. but not as much as I'd like.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Now that I have access to a gym almost any time, I'm going 3 times a week for lifting, and cardio anytime I feel like it.:)

THX1139

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2006
my schedule is like this:

mon night: 35-40 min weights
tuesday night: 300 push ups, pull ups, dips, ab workout
wed night: off ab workout
thursday night 35-40 min weights ab workout
friday: 300 push ups, pull ups, dips, ab workout
saturday: cardio workout ab workout
sunday: 35-40 min weights

of course i skip days, fall asleep, etc, etc. but that is my stated goal haha.

What's up with all the ab workout? Seems a waste of time.

rk1228

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2008
Louisville
Monday, Wednesday, Thursday after work, and usually one day over the weekend.

Workouts are weightlifting, currently on a push/pull split. Usually always done in 75 minutes unless there's a lot of talking going on. May do cardio 2 or 3 times a week for 20-30 minutes.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Weights? Whenever I feel like it, and for as long as I want to do it. I don't go with a plan or routine, either. I go 'maybe' once every 2 weeks. :p When I say I go for as long as I want, I usually go for over an hour, since I know I'm not going to lift weights again for awhile. I may go twice in a week sometimes, and then not come back for 2-3 weeks.

Swimming? Whenever I feel like it, and as many laps as I want to do. I usually go 3 times a week. It only takes around 20 minutes to do, so it fits my schedule really well. :)

spacemanps

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2008
New Jersey
Wellll.... now that its winter... NEVER!! ha... in Spring summer and fall i go biking about 20-30 miles on Saturday and Sunday..

iOrlando

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
What's up with all the ab workout? Seems a waste of time.
i have ab workouts 5 times a week as a goal. At best, I do it 3 times haha because i get so tired and just cant make it through the day to do an ab workout.

when i do an ab workout i do:

-4-5 sets of 12 reps of captain chair leg raises
- 2-3 sets of 10 leg lifts
-4-5 sets of 40 cycles of bicycle exercise
-10 -12 raised leg rotations

try to do 45-60 seconds plank on elbows and toes

so it really isnt that bad.

XnavxeMiyyep

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2003
Washington
I started working out last January when I determined I could not bench press the bar.

Currently, I lift weights three times per week and run twice per week.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
i get up, walk to kitchen, walk from kitchen to living room and sit lol
i dont do much, im naturally trim ;)
That won't last. And just because you're thin, it doesn't mean you're healthy.

I used to be just like you. I got a wake up call when my doctor told me at 25, that I was at risk for heart attack because I was "naturally trim". Too trim though. It wasn't that I didn't eat. I ate a ton. But I was eating the wrong things and if I did have a heart attack, I would not be able to be revived because there would be literally no body mass to help me recover.

That's when I got serious about exercise and diet. Diet not meaning Jenny Craig, because that's BS. Denial gets you nowhere. Diet meaning eating the right foods, and plenty of them.