Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macfem

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2010
I have been working out every weekday for 3 years straight. Mostly cardio, recently I have added weight lifting and kickboxing to my schedule to spice things up.
smile.gif

iOrlando

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
my schedule is like this:

mon night: 35-40 min weights
tuesday night: 300 push ups, pull ups, dips, ab workout
wed night: off ab workout
thursday night 35-40 min weights ab workout
friday: 300 push ups, pull ups, dips, ab workout
saturday: cardio workout ab workout
sunday: 35-40 min weights

of course i skip days, fall asleep, etc, etc. but that is my stated goal haha.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Since I was 25 years old, I've been lifting weights three days a week (and it's an intense Navy workout- 50 reps total on everything). I get all my cardio from walking everywhere. Living in the city, you walk a lot and climb a lot of stairs.

iOrlando

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
Since I was 25 years old, I've been lifting weights three days a week (and it's an intense Navy workout- 50 reps total on everything). I get all my cardio from walking everywhere. Living in the city, you walk a lot and climb a lot of stairs.

what exactly does 50 reps do compared to doing a well-paced 12-14?

I use to do 1000 push ups in a sitting, and i see more results when doing 300 a sitting.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
I have kind of a core workout I do three times a week, and then a few extra stuff I do if I'm feeling up to it.

It centers around leg lifts, pushups and/or benchpress, weighted sit ups, military presses, squats, and my chinup bar.

But to answer your question, three times a week. While I'm very regular at it, I don't obsess over it and if I don't feel up it I either take it easy or skip it altogether.

I've been getting into Chen style Tai Chi and I like it. It's called an internal martial art; improves balance and energy.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
what exactly does 50 reps do compared to doing a well-paced 12-14?

I use to do 1000 push ups in a sitting, and i see more results when doing 300 a sitting.

The 50 reps are done in sets, and they are all well-paced. I'm 42 years old and have maintained a 32 in waist and a very lean, muscular body. I know what I'm doing. ;)

Here's how they work in 4 sets:

14 reps of my starting weight
14 reps adding 10 pounds
8 reps of the absolute most I can lift without losing form
14 reps back to my starting weight

I do this for every muscle group, and it's a killer, trust me. The 20-something guys who hit on me love it though. :)

MMM.PWR

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2009
Milwaukee
I'm usually at the gym no less than 4 days / week. Spend nearly 3 hours there with the time it takes to shower, spot my friend, misc.

This is our usual routine
-Chest/Biceps/Abs
-Back/Triceps/Abs
-Shoulders/Legs/Abs

When I go alone I add some cardio.. but not as much as I'd like.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Now that I have access to a gym almost any time, I'm going 3 times a week for lifting, and cardio anytime I feel like it.:)

THX1139

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2006
my schedule is like this:

mon night: 35-40 min weights
tuesday night: 300 push ups, pull ups, dips, ab workout
wed night: off ab workout
thursday night 35-40 min weights ab workout
friday: 300 push ups, pull ups, dips, ab workout
saturday: cardio workout ab workout
sunday: 35-40 min weights

of course i skip days, fall asleep, etc, etc. but that is my stated goal haha.

What's up with all the ab workout? Seems a waste of time.

rk1228

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2008
Louisville
Monday, Wednesday, Thursday after work, and usually one day over the weekend.

Workouts are weightlifting, currently on a push/pull split. Usually always done in 75 minutes unless there's a lot of talking going on. May do cardio 2 or 3 times a week for 20-30 minutes.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Weights? Whenever I feel like it, and for as long as I want to do it. I don't go with a plan or routine, either. I go 'maybe' once every 2 weeks. :p When I say I go for as long as I want, I usually go for over an hour, since I know I'm not going to lift weights again for awhile. I may go twice in a week sometimes, and then not come back for 2-3 weeks.

Swimming? Whenever I feel like it, and as many laps as I want to do. I usually go 3 times a week. It only takes around 20 minutes to do, so it fits my schedule really well. :)

spacemanps

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2008
New Jersey
Wellll.... now that its winter... NEVER!! ha... in Spring summer and fall i go biking about 20-30 miles on Saturday and Sunday..

iOrlando

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
What's up with all the ab workout? Seems a waste of time.

i have ab workouts 5 times a week as a goal. At best, I do it 3 times haha because i get so tired and just cant make it through the day to do an ab workout.

when i do an ab workout i do:

-4-5 sets of 12 reps of captain chair leg raises
- 2-3 sets of 10 leg lifts
-4-5 sets of 40 cycles of bicycle exercise
-10 -12 raised leg rotations

try to do 45-60 seconds plank on elbows and toes

so it really isnt that bad.

XnavxeMiyyep

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2003
Washington
I started working out last January when I determined I could not bench press the bar.

Currently, I lift weights three times per week and run twice per week.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
i get up, walk to kitchen, walk from kitchen to living room and sit lol
i dont do much, im naturally trim ;)

That won't last. And just because you're thin, it doesn't mean you're healthy.

I used to be just like you. I got a wake up call when my doctor told me at 25, that I was at risk for heart attack because I was "naturally trim". Too trim though. It wasn't that I didn't eat. I ate a ton. But I was eating the wrong things and if I did have a heart attack, I would not be able to be revived because there would be literally no body mass to help me recover.

That's when I got serious about exercise and diet. Diet not meaning Jenny Craig, because that's BS. Denial gets you nowhere. Diet meaning eating the right foods, and plenty of them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.