How often do your calls get dropped by AT&T?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Pathfinder55, Jan 20, 2008.

1. Pathfinder55 macrumors 6502

I just wanted to find this out. Also if you want add where you live to see if there is a pattern.

1. None
    2. 1-3 calls
    3. 4-6 calls
    4. 7-10 calls
    5. To many to count.

This was going to be a poll.

2. aosman macrumors 6502

Never had a call dropped on my end. It has always been pretty reliable.

3. motomullet macrumors member

only a couple, but that was when I was down to 1 bar of signal. None with 2 bars or more.

4. knoxtown macrumors 6502

5. calvy macrumors 65816

There are one or two known dead spots in the city I live in. I don't normally drop calls unless I drive through one of those spots.

6. knoxtown macrumors 6502

7. thepandamancan macrumors member

thepandamancan

If I get a healthy signal...3 bars or more never. I work in a building with thick walls so I have a pretty weak signal to begin with so I get a lot of dropped calls if I walk in the wrong place, but thats my problem...not with the iPhone/ATT

8. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

I usually have 4-5 per month

Not that much but still slightly annoying if the call is important

Bigger problem is how bad my reception is in some areas where there really shouldn't be any bad reception problems

9. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

10. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

AT&T is almost as bad as Sprint for dropped calls. And sometimes it takes me several tries just to get an initial connection to complete. Also, my iPhone frequently shows missed calls, where the phone never even rang. Reception is spotty too & I live in a major metro area.

I put AT&T in the sux category.

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

This happens to me all of the time but it is in no way indicative of the iPhone's reception. It is AT&T and my area.

12. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

While I have gotten a few dropped calls, I tend to get a "Network busy" error, and I have to try my call again.

Its actually more annoying than getting a dropped call, since I have full bars. :rolleyes:

13. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

14. calvy macrumors 65816

This is a capacity issue on the AT&T network. I get it constantly when I do something like go to a University of Texas football game where some 85,000 people are gathered, probably 40,000 of them AT&T customers, if not more. Basically there are more cell phones in a concentrated area trying to make or receive calls than the tower has the capacity to handle.

You shouldn't really have to deal with this though unless you are in a high volume of people all the time. In which case AT&T should still probably be upgrading capacity...but who knows if they are.

15. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

you should specify the time period you're looking for - number of dropped calls in a week, month, eon? :)

i have about 1 dropped call per month, if that. at&t coverage in my area is pretty good, and there's really only one dead spot i go through during my commute (and i always warn people i'm on the phone with before i go through it)...

16. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

My experience has been that this is a coverage issue with AT&T in the area.

There are certain areas in town that have poor coverage, and I tend to drop calls (ie: Call Failed) when I am driving through these areas. It is also very hard to get a call to go through if I redial right away.

The iPhone seems to require a stronger signal than some other GSM phones, like the RAZR. My wife can consistently make calls with her RAZR, in places where my iPhone says "No service".

Sometimes holding the phone a certain way can help, but it is sure a pain...

17. divabimbers macrumors member

Never had a dropped call and I've been with them since October, but I have been unable to make calls though that was due to being in an area or building where the signal was low so I just waited until I could get a stronger signal.

18. n00basaur macrumors regular

19. dangleheart macrumors 6502

20. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I think I have had a total of 5 in the last 6 months. Not bad service at all.

21. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

not to jinx myself, but i have had great service from them

22. Martin C macrumors 6502a

Martin C

Never, great service. I have full bars on my iPhone anywhere that I go in NYC.

23. camarobh macrumors 6502

Good service from AT&T

No dropped calls, no issues.

24. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

None.
    They just spent 300+ million upgrading their towers here in AZ.