Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

El3ctronics

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 30, 2011
NYC
Simple question...For those with experience beta testing previous iOS builds, how often does Apple update the beta? Thanks.

Craiger

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2007
I think the better question now is how often will Apple be releasing Delta updates.

It depends on if Delta updates are actually supported in Beta 1. My guess is that they are not unless there is some documentation saying there is...

SirithX

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2007
San Francisco
I believe Apple did say that delta updates are forthcoming. I remember they mentioned somewhere that the beta iOS 5 we have now will eventually be able to be updated to the gold master version that will go out to consumers.

MaxBurn

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2010
Good question, now that they can push updates I would expect to see those on a significantly more rapid schedule than previous full beta releases. Maybe the delta update doesn't work with the betas?

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
Going by Apple's past schemes, I still wouldn't expect nightly builds like chrome uses ... I would hope for biweekly updates, but that might be too optimistic.

geiman

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2011
Going by Apple's past schemes, I still wouldn't expect nightly builds like chrome uses ... I would hope for biweekly updates, but that might be too optimistic.

This; I wouldn't get your hopes up for more frequent updates. I mean it would be nice, but I'm kinda doubting it considering they're not trying to fix bugs for usability sake, but for app development sake.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
This; I wouldn't get your hopes up for more frequent updates. I mean it would be nice, but I'm kinda doubting it considering they're not trying to fix bugs for usability sake, but for app development sake.

Oh, I think those two are not mutually exclusive.. They're working on fixing but just as much as app development, because they only have roughly about 3 months to get everything ready. And by the looks of it, they've already done an amazing job. For the small hiccup, iOS5beta works just as well as iOS 4.3.3 if not better.
The question is whether the beta is Delta upgradeable or not?

geiman

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2011
Oh, I think those two are not mutually exclusive.. They're working on fixing but just as much as app development, because they only have roughly about 3 months to get everything ready. And by the looks of it, they've already done an amazing job. For the small hiccup, iOS5beta works just as well as iOS 4.3.3 if not better.
The question is whether the beta is Delta upgradeable or not?

Right right, I just meant that they're not worried about getting a new beta out so that we don't have to put up with the annoying bugs anymore. They aren't expecting people to be using this as their daily OS, so I don't think they're going to be very worried about rushing out updates to fix the annoyances with the current beta. But yes, they certainly are worried about fixing the bugs for the final release, thats a given.

And yes, this beta is very stable, I'm very impressed with it. Its much much better than previous beta 1s; not nearly as many annoying glitches.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.