How Often Does Apple Release Beta Updates?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by El3ctronics, Jun 9, 2011.

1. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

Simple question...For those with experience beta testing previous iOS builds, how often does Apple update the beta? Thanks.

2. los318 macrumors 6502

los318

I think the better question now is how often will Apple be releasing Delta updates.

3. El3ctronics thread starter macrumors 65816

"Delta updates" is considered "updating the beta" ;)

4. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Don't be such a lawyer.

5. Craiger macrumors 6502a

Craiger

It depends on if Delta updates are actually supported in Beta 1. My guess is that they are not unless there is some documentation saying there is...

6. El3ctronics thread starter macrumors 65816

Well what was the update cycle like in the past?

7. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Roughly every two weeks as far as I remember, but I could be wrong.

8. the1payday macrumors 6502

the1payday

Beta builds in the past have come out USUALLY every other Tuesday. Beta 2 will probably be out on or around the 21st June.

9. SirithX macrumors 6502

SirithX

I believe Apple did say that delta updates are forthcoming. I remember they mentioned somewhere that the beta iOS 5 we have now will eventually be able to be updated to the gold master version that will go out to consumers.

10. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

Good question, now that they can push updates I would expect to see those on a significantly more rapid schedule than previous full beta releases. Maybe the delta update doesn't work with the betas?

11. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Going by Apple's past schemes, I still wouldn't expect nightly builds like chrome uses ... I would hope for biweekly updates, but that might be too optimistic.

12. geiman macrumors newbie

This; I wouldn't get your hopes up for more frequent updates. I mean it would be nice, but I'm kinda doubting it considering they're not trying to fix bugs for usability sake, but for app development sake.

13. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Oh, I think those two are not mutually exclusive.. They're working on fixing but just as much as app development, because they only have roughly about 3 months to get everything ready. And by the looks of it, they've already done an amazing job. For the small hiccup, iOS5beta works just as well as iOS 4.3.3 if not better.
    The question is whether the beta is Delta upgradeable or not?

14. geiman macrumors newbie

Right right, I just meant that they're not worried about getting a new beta out so that we don't have to put up with the annoying bugs anymore. They aren't expecting people to be using this as their daily OS, so I don't think they're going to be very worried about rushing out updates to fix the annoyances with the current beta. But yes, they certainly are worried about fixing the bugs for the final release, thats a given.

And yes, this beta is very stable, I'm very impressed with it. Its much much better than previous beta 1s; not nearly as many annoying glitches.