How often does Apple update iWork?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Albert1000, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Albert1000 macrumors newbie

Specifically the Numbers app. I'm using 3.0. It's horrendous.

Why is there no Page Setup in Numbers? How can I print without the ability to set page breaks and margins?

I like the iOS compatibility but geez... if they had to dumb the whole package down just to conform to iOS then I'll consider moving on. If however, anyone has reason to believe they are committed to updating this Fisher-Price version of "Office" then please tell me.

2. Bear macrumors G3

Please provide feedback to Apple on the various apps on features that are missing or broken that you want/need. The more people who provide feedback, the more likely they are to fix it.
    I know Apple has listened to some of the feedback about missing features already, but they need to hear from more people.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

There is an Apple support document here where Apple acknowledges they removed features in the latest iWorks release, and they plan to address the gaps in the next six months (this was in November). I know there was one update already that added back some features.

4. Albert1000 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! Unfortunately, the planned "fix" list looks pretty bleak. At least they acknowledge the shortcomings though.

5. Bear macrumors G3

And that's why I suggested providing feedback to Apple. That way they know what features people are looking for.

6. robgendreau macrumors 68030

Might be time to look into other solutions. iWork, if it even exists as a concept anymore, never exactly threatened Office. It's always possible it will go the way of AppleWorks.

7. Bear macrumors G3

I doubt iWork will be killed of like AppleWorks was. However, people should look for applications that meet their needs.

8. Albert1000 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I do have MS-Office for OSX. But they will never shoot themselves in the foot and release a version for iOS. (Yes, there are iOS Office wannabes out there but most are crap).

That's why iWork appealed to me at first. It actually works pretty well across platforms. It's simply too underpowered for my needs.

9. robgendreau macrumors 68030

I think MS is trying to position their tablets as the real business tablet. Apple is clearly shooting for the non-business user. Neither really works for some of us, and considering the very, very few that have dared to challenge Excel's dominance I doubt that much will change for OS X and iOS. And Win on tablets will still stink. So we're kinda stuck.

10. Albert1000 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, there's always something to be said for being first I suppose. It's staying in that position that's difficult. I'd venture to say that if the iPad and iOS followed Win8 tablets we'd all be laughing at Apple right now. :D

I actually kind of like Win8's tablet interface. It's the "tablets" that run it I have problems with.

I was hoping that Apple was trying to make inroads into MS's hold on the enterprise market though. Bundling new devices with free iWork apps that don't need a subscription is a good move I think. Not so sure they're committed to this though.