How often does the battery cycle?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by val23, Jun 30, 2009.

1. val23 macrumors member

Helloo.
    I've only had my MBP 13 for 4-5 days... and already the battery has cycled 3 times! That's almost once a day... isn't that a lot? How is it supposed to last me 5 years?
    Is it the way i'm charging it? I charge it FULL.. then run it down to almost zero.. and then recharge... each time i recharge.. it's a cycle??!? is that bad?
    should i just keep it plugged in then?

thanks!

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Did you buy the laptop to use it or to save it? If the later, methinks you should've gotten a desktop :p.

Computers are built to be used, you shouldn't worry so much about the computer that it makes you afraid to use it. Yes, you will have more battery cycles as time goes on from use, but if you keep up with the monthly calibration it should last you for a long time.

3. womble2k2 macrumors regular

If you are running your computer near a mains outlet, then you should just run off mains. If you are using your computer away from mains, then of course you need to use the batteries.

A cycle is a complete use of 100% battery. Uf you start at 100%, use battery until you are at 75%, fully recharge, then use to 25%, then re-charge, that is 1 cycle (75% + 25%).

I'm assuming you have a MBP with non-removable battery, if so, it will last for approx 1000 cycles.

For advice, see;
    http://www.apple.com/batteries/

Regards,
    Phil

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Correction: you have cycled the battery 3 times. Batteries do not cycle by themselves.

Yes, that's a cycle, and it's not bad.