How often does your apps become not responding?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by realchimera, Sep 18, 2011.

1. realchimera macrumors regular

I got random 'not responding" apps almost every other week. I never had this kind of problem on my PC. Does anyone else have the same problem on Mac ? or it's just me?

2. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

Which apps? How old is your computer? What are the specs? We need a lot more details to be able to help.

3. realchimera thread starter macrumors regular

Word 2011, Chrome and some other apps which I can't remember...

My MBP is i5 2.5GHz chip, 10.6.8 Os X.

I don't think it's computer hardware's problem. It should caused by bad software compatibility.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Have these not responding problems started recently?

5. mac00l macrumors 6502

Is the software legit??
    Have you installed any 3rd party hardware???

If your software is legit and up to date, and your mac doesn't have any kind of hardware compatibility issue, then I suggest you to go to applecare because it is not a common behavior at all

6. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

What version of Chrome are you running? I'm using Canary, and every once in a while(like maybe once every 25 times) when I quit it locks up and I have to force quit. But that doesn't explain issues with Office, which I have no issues with, or any other apps...

7. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

i never had problems in 10.6.8, and I have no problems in 10.7.1... I think you should take it into applecare because this is not a common problem... and i use both chrome and office 2011.

8. realchimera thread starter macrumors regular

My world 2011 is legit, and Chrome is up to date (14.0.835.163). But I've installed a lot of apps included some beta version software, which may cause some compatible problems. But I never got messed up by any beta software on my PCs.

9. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

how deep into the OSX system does this beta software go? it could definitely be the problem.

10. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

What are the beta siftwares that you've installed?

11. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

I use beta/dev/alpha of apps, tweaks, and OS updates whenever available(and I've undervolted down, a lot) and can honestly say I only have a problem or an app stop responding once a month, at most.

Edit: I'm running chrome 16.0.885.0, so I'd assume 14.x is stable.

12. unixperience macrumors regular

I would Open up disk utility and try to "verify permissions" that could help

13. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

could that be the cause of the problems? not enough juice to run stuff? or something else along the lines of the undervolting?

14. DWBurke811, Sep 18, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2011

DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

After setting a new voltage, I run CPUTest to stress test the CPU, if the voltage is too low it kernel panics; then bump the voltage up a little and try again.

I haven't had a kernel panic while using it ever, I don't know if the rare app freeze up is caused by it, but even if it is the substantial increase in battery life and lower temps is worth having to force quit, rather than quit(because it only locks up while I'm closing it, an app once every 4-6 weeks. And it only really happens with Chrome Canary.

EDIT: I'm beyond shocked how stable my Mac is; no crashes, beach balls, sleep issues, at most one app will lock up when closing per month of use everyday for ~8 hours. And if there's beta/alpha/dev of an application I'm using, I run it. I've undervolted around 0.2V for my highest clock, with up to ~1800MHz being set as low as CoolBook will allow. I run dev releases of OS updates whenever possible. I'm running a Vertex 3.... I would think my MacBook Pro would be unusable to the point of not being usable, but day in and day out it just works...and works well, too.

15. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki