How often does your iPhone 3G reset itself?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by WilliamG, Jul 23, 2008.

1. WilliamG macrumors 604

My less-than-a-day-old new iPhone 3G 16GB has reset itself (showed the Apple logo and all) twice now. It did it both times after I closed an App (AIM in one case, Aurora Feint in the other) and went into the Settings menu. The screen didn't load, and after about 5 seconds, boom! Reset.

Is this just the apps causing issues? A bit annoying, let me tell you!

2. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

Might be the apps you are using. I've had my iPhone 3G since day 2 and no resets at all even when using some of the apps.

3. RocketJohn macrumors newbie

at least every other day... surely they are working on a patch... or service pack...

4. Aramis macrumors member

Aramis

About once every 2 days or so...

I've owned the phone for about 8 days and it seems to reset about every 2 days. Once when using midomi and once after using yelp (it simply locked). The other resent happened when I was responding to a received text. The performance slowed to a halt during the texting, and the reset happened.

-A-

5. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

mine resets every day or every other day depends on how much i use the thing. I have about 10 apps or so.

Not sure how Apple could release such buggy software after having so much time to test it b4 it's release.

6. drakeshipway macrumors 6502

drakeshipway

7. rockstarjoe macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

Had mine less than a week and it has definitely done this a few times. Once I wasn't even using it... I walked into the room and looked down at the table and it was restarting on it's own!

8. macfearless macrumors regular

mine hasn't restarted, but has completely turned off only deciding to turn back on when it's ready... only happened a couple of times, but was pretty annoying.

9. calvy macrumors 65816

I've never had mine reset on it's own. However, I have reset it manually a few times to clear up issues with apps crashing.

10. snook911 macrumors 6502a

I have had my iPhone since the 12th and while it has never restarted it has crashed out of safari and brought me back to the home screen quite a few times. Anyone else's doing that?

11. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Just make sure that when you sync your iPhone with iTunes that you tell it to allow sending the crash reports to Apple so that they'll have an easier time fixing any bugs that may be causing crashes.

12. synagence macrumors 6502a

I've had it since day one and i reckon i get about 1 app launches in 20 fail and the iphone has completely rebooted itself maybe 5 times

13. Jphillippe macrumors regular

Jphillippe

Well it happens to me quite often. I've restored my phone a few times and have even refused to download apps to see if it was the issue. It kept doing it. I took the phone to the store and they refused to exchange it for another since it was an evident software issue, and the iphone is new and expected to be buggy. I was told to wait for a later released firmware but I rather go to another store and see if I had better luck. It doesn't happen to eveybody. My old iPhone 2g was jailbroken and unlocked and it never reset in the 6 months that I had it.

I called Apple Care and I was told to set up the phone as new when restored because hidden files from old iphone or contacts and files saved by other apps would cause problems. Well happy to say the problem has been fixed.

14. cyberone macrumors regular

... sounds like an old Palm Treo ... with an extra reset button ...

15. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Only 3 times

All times when I was trying to play a game, in the middle of a game, or updating a game

Crashes occur with the damn app games it seems

16. protekt0r macrumors regular

protekt0r

mine resets when i use myspace, facebook (especially), and AOL radio (sometimes). at first i thought it might be a hardware issue but my newly replaced iphone resets in the same programs. it's definitely an app or firmware issue.

17. Zephgx macrumors member

Mine hasn't reset yet... (then again I haven't been using it alot)

18. oghowie macrumors 6502a

oghowie

Looks like it's more of an problem with the Apps not being thoroughly debugged.

19. apple. macrumors member

20. apple. macrumors member

it never happens on a phone call or sending a text, although it lags:p

but it does restart when i use 3rd party apps.

21. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Actually had mine reset twice today including a damn near 5 minute reset :rolleyes:

22. cheeseadiddle macrumors regular

My 2G running firmware 2.0 was resetting it's self about once a day until I did restore yesterday. None yet, knock on wood.

23. WilliamG thread starter macrumors 604

My wife's iPhone 3G just reset itself tonight. Using Weatherbug. Loaded the app, boom, reset. She's not particularly pleased...

Come on, Apple. Patches please!

24. synagence macrumors 6502a

Mine seems to be getting worse .... last night 4 times i had to reset the phone after safari locked up totally

25. jacksam101 macrumors member

Never head any resets - but then I only have a couple of Apps downloaded. Sounds like a dodgy app not working as it should to me!