Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Mine seems to do it every few hours, it seems.. A reboot will fix it usually immediately, but it will switch back to 3G signal by itself after a "while." And I have FULL 3G signal where I am when it works. It's weird, because my phone will show EDGE, while my wife's iPhone will show 3G. A reboot fixes it, and BOTH phones will do this intermittently. And to clarify, this is in the same location, so we're not moving through different area...

What's going on here? Is there some bugginess at work? :( :confused:

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
One possibility is that it's probably a load balancing issue, and a characteristic of 3G networks (and 2G networks that have to co-exist with 3G). It's the same reason you'll find that in some cell phone support forums, people will complain that one phone will have full bars, while the exact same model phone sitting next to it will only have 1 or 2.

It's hard to explain in just a forum post, but basically, a network will predetermine what cell sites or channels a particular cell phone will have an affinity to. So, the network might prefer to have your phone "Camp" on say, odd numbered cell sectors or channels, while your wife's phone might be camping on the even numbers. This doesn't mean you'll ONLY be on certain sites and your wife's phone on others. If it needs to, the phone will pick any channel it can find. But, it will play favorites, because that's what the network is telling it to do.

The idea behind this is to make sure that a whole bunch of cell phones (who theoretically would make the same decisions all of the time) don't all decide to flood one channel just because it's the "best" one in the area.

Due to luck of the draw, your phone might be camping on a cell site whose 3G channel might not reach as far as the one your wife is on.

With 3G, people are going to start noticing some pretty interesting behaviors with the network. You're going to find that bars don't always mean a whole lot, and it's going to behave in ways that, from a network engineering standpoint is perfectly logical and normal, but to most cell phone users will seem downright weird. This is all a by-product of the technology shifting on AT&T from the TDMA-based GSM, to W-CDMA, which is a whole different way of running a network.

classicalgas

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2009
We just got a household full of iPhones yesterday (husband, son at college and me)d and I immediately noticed the exact same thing happening to mine. It seems to switch from 3G to E after I've been using the network, almost like it's saying "Ok, you've had your turn, now I'm slowing you down." When I turn it off and back on, voila!, 5 bars on 3G. It's driving me crazy.

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I have not seen my phone using EDGE. I had always thought that 3G hardware was incompatible with EDGE. I guess I never bothered to think about the phone also having EDGE capabilities.

Must say I would have been kind of freaked if I saw the "E" on my phone.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
I have not seen my phone using EDGE. I had always thought that 3G hardware was incompatible with EDGE. I guess I never bothered to think about the phone also having EDGE capabilities.

Must say I would have been kind of freaked if I saw the "E" on my phone.

I hate you ;) I lived with EDGE only on my iPhone 3G for 3 months after I got it. Then AT&T upgraded my area with 3G coverage! Now I see 3G almost all the time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.