How often does your MBP crash?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Pngwyn, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Pngwyn macrumors regular

So mine crashes at LEAST once a week, meaning it completely freezes, no force quit, etc.. last time it happened was when I was capturing footage from my camcorder.

I'm just curious how often your guys' MBPs last before crashing and if it's something to worry about if it crashes 2-3 times a week..

I have a late 08 mbp btw

2. kobefan234 macrumors 6502

kobefan234

when did you buy it? i have not had a crash yet ;)

3. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I say you return it pronto for a new one; for comparison, I don't remember the last time mine crashed on me. (it's a C2D)

4. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Mine has crashed twice:

Once, when it failed to show the login prompt while waking from sleep

One other time, a kernel panic due to a defect with the Airport Driver.

So, yours doesn't seem normal

5. Nadasive macrumors 6502

mines never really crashed ever since i got it, you should consider what J the ninja said ;)

6. Pngwyn thread starter macrumors regular

Well usually it's not when I'm doing nothing, so I figured perhaps I was pushing the computer too hard.

Times that it's crashed (that I remember):
    Capturing footage from my camcorder, camcorder ran out of batteries stopping the capture, everything froze.

On Firefox surfing the web.

On Maya working on a project.

And sometimes it crashes after I leave it sitting. I'll come back and I can't move the mouse or do anything.

I got the laptop about a month ago. You guys think I should take it in to the Apple Store? If so, what should I tell them/should I ask them for a replacement? I ordered it off MacMall, and I've never been into the Apple store customer service so I don't really know how to go about it.

Also, I installed 2x 2GB RAM by myself, is there any chance this could be part of the issue? It's DDR3 ram, and is definitely compatible, and it says 4GB installed in my "About This Mac", so I'm not sure if that would be the problem.

How long have you guys had yours for? It's probably better that I replace it if it IS abnormal before I have it for too long, I would think.

7. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Mine has never crashed.

As for RAM. Just because it's DDR3 and your Mac recognizes it doesn't mean it's 100% compatible. Been there, done that with other Macs. The only 100% way to guarantee your RAM meets Apple's RAM specs is to buy RAM tested and guaranteed to be Mac compatible. I've even had RAM guaranteed to be Mac compat. and it kept causing my Mac to randomly shut down. The company replaced the RAM and the new sticks worked fine.

8. byeehaaw macrumors 6502

my late 2008 mbp crashes alot actually, sometimes it crashes a few times a day. it gets annoying. sometimes it just locks up

9. Mercellus macrumors regular

My MacBook Pro (Late 2008) hasn't crashed since the day I purchased it, I've had it with me on a trip and to work a few times, put it to sleep for 2 days, even watched some movies on a bus ride which was moderately bumpy.

It sounds like an issue with the RAM; I'd recommend that you remove it and place the Apple RAM back into the computer and see what happens. If that fails, I would definitely contact AppleCare for further troubleshooting.

10. Pngwyn thread starter macrumors regular

The thing is, when I purchased my MBP, I purchased the RAM at the same time from Macmall. They confirmed over the phone that the RAM is compatible (Crucial DDR3) and when I installed it there seemed to be no problems and I had no problem installing it.

If the answer is removing my RAM and downgrading it to 2GB, I feel like it's not even worth the downgrade since my computer doesn't crash THAT often.

And a lot of these crashes I wouldn't give a second thought about on PC, but I am just not sure how common this is with MBPs since I used to own a Macbook and that didn't crash on me very often and would like to catch a faulty MBP before I can exchange it.

11. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

12. SpecOps2087 macrumors newbie

13. Glueeater macrumors regular

Mine crashed once. It is now in Applecare getting a hard drive replacement.

No idea what caused it. I was using iTunes and Firefox and everything froze. Time kept going and the mouse was responsive, but I had to force a shutdown. Never booted back up, took it to the store, had OSX reinstalled and the thing went into an endless reboot cycle.

Sad story.

14. wesrk macrumors 6502a

only problem I had is that the mouse and keyboard froze a few days ago, first time since I got it back in Feb of this year.
    Other than that, sometimes msn crashes.

15. workerbee macrumors member

My 2-year-old MBP 2.33GHz crashes far too often - sometimes weeks go by without any problem, sometimes I had up to 4 or 5 freezes per day.

Under 10.4.x it was 100% stable, the problems started with 10.5.