How often is your computer on, and your iPhone plugged in at the same time?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by palmerc2, Jul 18, 2011.

1. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

To utilize Wireless Syncing in iOS5?

I have 1 computer in my office which I put to sleep at night, and then my iPhone charging in my room at night. I can think of maybe two times in 4 years that my computer was turned on, and my iPhone plugged at the same time. Those are the two necessary ingredients to actually be able to use wireless syncing.

Will anybody use wireless syncing when iOS5 comes out? Other than that first time saying "I did it"?

2. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

Anytime I am using the computer I will have the iPhone plugged in. I just like knowing everything is being synced & my phone is getting charged. It's a habit.

3. seinman macrumors regular

I have a computer that runs 24-7, so having both on at once isn't an issue for me. However, I wouldn't be even a little surprised if Apple releases an update for Time Capsule that lets you back your iPhone up to it instead of a computer. It's the next logical step.

4. The Phazer macrumors 68030

To all intents and purposes, never - my computer is on while I'm awake and using it. My phone is on charge while I'm asleep and therefore the computer is turned off. I'll find wireless syncing to be useless. I'm sure some others will not.

However, personally I'd have much rather some effort had been spent cutting the ties between an individual iTunes instance and my phone entirely. There's really no good reason why my iPhone shouldn't be able to sync to any iTunes on any machine as long as it's linked to my account. And no good reason why I shouldn't be able to stick a NAS with all this data on somewhere and have it play nicely with either of my Macbooks on my home network. There's no reason I should need to sync at all to update podcast subscriptions. There's no good reason why, when I have a friend who's computer dies and they buy a new one, getting their existing iPhone set up on the new machine without losing everything should need to be quite such a pain in the ass.

Sigh.

Phazer

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

So here's a question: Will the iPhone be able to wake a sleeping computer to sync with it? I bet that's likely. I'm pretty sure that if my computer IS asleep and I try to strem a movie to my phone from iTunes, it wakes up the computer. Is that right or did I imagine that?

6. posnera macrumors regular

I've got a desktop that runs as my itunes server and a laptop in my bedroom. I've been manually syncing to the laptop, but as soon as wireless sync is available, I will stop using the laptop for the iphone. I have a charger by my nightstand which I use every night. Wireless sync will make my life much easier.

7. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

I usually only have my computer at home when I'm using it, and I always have my iPhone plugged in when I'm on my computer. Once iOS 5 comes out, I plan on getting a Time Capsule and syncing via that.

8. kleinias macrumors regular

Isn't your premise incorrect? It looks like you can easily start a "wireless sync" from the iPhone (or iTunes on your computer) even if the iPhone is not charging. This would seemingly obviate the issue mentioned in your situation.

9. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

You are correct. I didn't even catch that.

Yes, the iPhone can wirelessly sync without being plugged in, so it seems that the reason for this thread exisiting is based on false information.

10. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

I think the OP meant it wouldn't be any good for them as it would never be automatic so they would still have to remember about it, which is not really any better than having to plugin and sync.

Personally I think I will stop syncing all together and just use iCloud, especially once iTunes match comes out and the fact now I can use Spotify for most of my music needs.

11. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I don't think that's the case. He said:

He didn't say "to make syncing convinient." He actually said "necessary." I think he just didn't know that he'll be able to activate it when the phone isn't plugged in.

12. Maschil macrumors 6502a

Maschil

i couldn't agree more. I actually sync when i havent added anything new to my iphone or itunes.. LOL guess its a habit aswell

13. b-rad g macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

My Mini is my HTPC, my MagicJack connection, and my syncing computer si it is on 24/7 and only goes off in apower outage or a restart after an update. So my wife and I will be heavy users of the Wireless Syncing.

14. palmerc2 thread starter macrumors 65816

palmerc2

I could've sworn that's what they said in the keynote :confused::confused:

my bad