How often should I change my Mac password? And a console question too.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by LPPU, Oct 12, 2010.

1. LPPU macrumors newbie

I've heard and you may have very well heard others say that you should change your password every so often. I'm not saying they're wrong, I just don't know how to feel about this. It's my understanding that your admin password is the key to the castle. I obviously don't want anyone getting that key to my castle, but whether I change my password every 6 months or every 6 years, does that really make a difference? I'm not quite sure how someone else would be able to use that password to do anything if sharing is off, unless they had physical access to your computer of course.

So how often should I change my password? And does it matter if I use the same password now that I did when I created my first password for my Mac?

As for the console question, I noticed that messages I wanted to look at in the console from several days ago are no longer there. Do console messages delete themselves after a certain time?

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

It depends on how often you share your password with other people.

I know, that sounds like a joke, but it's really not. Unless you're in a really security-based job (i.e. government or top-secret type stuff), changing your password is only important if it's been compromised. People that change it regularly do so in case it's been compromised and they haven't been alerted to that. 30-90 days seems to be a common timeframe for that type of situation (short of a rolling passphrase with a wristband or keychain device that presents you with a always-changing password).

For the average user, no point in changing your password unless you give it to someone and want to make sure they don't continue to access your computer.

jW

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I can easily say that I am using the same password for OSX 10.6 as I have since the beta for 10.0.0 :eek: That's 10 years

Of course only one person knows my password besides me (my wife), no one else uses my computer and the risk of someone guessing the password is low given the random nature of the password.