How often should I charge the battery?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MiniD3, Apr 10, 2016.

1. MiniD3 macrumors 6502a

MiniD3

Just thinking of preserving the battery life,
    I realise that a deep cycle often may reduce life but quite often I'm leaving the MBP at 75% and now, for example, I'm finished for the night, I'm at 85%,
    Are many "little" charges OK or should wait till 50% or lower?

I usually use the iMac at home but just becoming familiar with a new, (refurbished), 15" i7 16GB MBP for an upcoming photo/fishing vacation, I am surprised how long the battery lasts, I have found hammering it with Photoshop tasks can give the battery a workout but in general, the battery lasts ages

On the road, my charging options may be limited at times but whilst it is at home or near charging opportunities how should I look after the battery?
    ......Gary

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

The short answer is: it doesn't matter, not even a bit. Use it how you like.

LiPo batteries do not care how they're treated. They cannot overcharge, their circuitry prevents this. They don't like extreme cold (think left in a car in freezing temps for extended periods of time), they don't like excessive heat (think left out in the sun in a black car at 30+C outisde temp). And that's about it.

They're meant to last roughly 1000 cycles (though they can last more), or 3-5 years, whichever comes first.

Chances are it'll die from old age before you even come close to damaging it with your charging habits.

3. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Agreed snaky, OP plug it in when you can use it on battery when you need to the battery will last 4-5 years and need replacing. That's batteries.

4. Mcmeowmers macrumors 6502

As stated above - use as you like. The only thing I've noticed is that if you do partial charges that the battery percentage that is displayed is not completely accurate, or that the charge will seem to deplete faster for that same percentage range if it had been completely charged

5. MiniD3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

MiniD3

Much appreciated guys,
    Being over cautious with the new toy I guess
    ......Gary