How often should i shut down my Macbook Air?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by saleemyas3, Jun 19, 2012.

1. saleemyas3 macrumors regular

How often should i shut down my new air? It's my first mac and with such fast boot times, i wouldn't mind shutting it down to keep it alive and healthy.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You don't ever need to shut it down. Only restart it to install updates and sleep it when not using it.

3. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

4. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

When you're not using it? :confused:

Yes, the wake from sleep times are impressive, but unless I'm in the middle of something I have to save my place in, I just shut down. I even have the "CleanShutdownS" script on my desktop. Double click and voila! Off.

5. RocketRed macrumors 6502a

I shut down my MBA every night before I sleep, out of old habit.

6. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

Every time the sum of the two minute digits is 10. So at 1:19, 1:28, 2:37, etc. Both am and pm.

7. LeGacY X macrumors member

LeGacY X

The best practice according Apple's battery care page, is to let the machine sleep, unless you will be away from it for more than week.

http://www.apple.com/batteries/

http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html

8. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

9. bp1000 macrumors 65816

I never shut down but sometimes I'm forced to.

With an external display plugged in occasionally waking from sleep my MBA runs very hot, fans full blast. Only cure is to shutdown, then power on. Not related to any rogue processes.

So annoying!

10. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

Clever!

I shut down my PC each and every night, like clockwork (pun intended). But I had heard that a Mac is different and either doesn't need to or shouldn't be shut down each night, so I was curious. Still learning...

11. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

12. mrogersscf macrumors member

Strong

13. riley41090 macrumors member

LOST references always gets an upvore from me :)

14. jvmxtra macrumors 65816

jvmxtra

What is the point of having a laptop? Don't ever shut it down. Just close the lid and open it up and use it whenever you need to instantly.. Dont' bother w/ the shutdown.. IN fact, I don't even shutdown my imac... so... there.

15. LaWally macrumors 6502a

That explains why I did not get the significance. Never watched LOST.

Does anyone who currently shuts down at night plan to change that when power nap is out?

16. BlakeBrattina macrumors 6502a

You sure missed out. Awesome show. I shut down just about every time I am going to step away from the computer for more than 6 hours or so. i.e- when I leave for work in the morning, when I go back to work if I come home for lunch or when I go to bed.

17. lot of apples macrumors newbie

18. LeGacY X macrumors member

LeGacY X

Sorry, it seems that they didn't mention the sleep or shutdown issue in those links. I apologize for for the false advertising. :( However, this is widely discussed topic on the Apple Support forums. After perusing the forums for a bit it seems that it comes down to personal preference as to what to do. For my personal use I sleep my computer far more often than I shut it down, probably shutting down for travel or updates about twice a month. This practice has been great for the number of Apple notebooks I have owned as I have never had battery or power issues with any of them. :D I will link a forum post with much useful information. Again sorry for the improper linking!

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3740114?start=0&tstart=0

----------

HAHA I knew I read that somewhere in Apple literature!

19. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

No point to shutting it down so I don't waste the time. Updates will force me to restart so why would I do it otherwise? I love opening the screen and being ready to go.

20. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

No worries. Sleeping uses up battery, little as it may be, which is probably why the manual says to shut it down if not using for several days. Closing the lid makes sense if you intend to pick back up within a short time. I prefer to shut down at the end of the day and not drain battery unnecessarily. To each his own.

21. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You don't ever have to shut it down. Some Software Updates require a restart, but not a shut down. If you're exceeding your RAM capacity and paging out, restarting will reset your page outs to zero and free up swap file space on your Flash drive. Sleep will consume about 1% of battery for every hour of sleep. Standby mode drains even less battery, lasting up to 30 days.

22. aleni macrumors 68020

i only use sleep if i need to use that again within 1-3 hours, if not, then i shut down, because the SSD is so fast, shutdown and powering it back on isn't really a hassle. it's blazingly fast.

23. GREEN4U macrumors 6502a

I can't speak for the macbook air but for the last 5 years, I NEVER shut down my Powerbook and it's lasted me this long. Sometimes (maybe 4-5 times a year?) it shuts off automatically due to unknown reasons. Maybe not shutting down improves the life?