How often should we trade-in a new MBA?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gloryunited, Mar 19, 2012.

?

What is the best upgrade cycle for MBA?

Poll closed Apr 18, 2012.
  1. Trade-in every year

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Trade-in every 2 years

4 vote(s)
    36.4%
  3. Use it for 3+ years, then buy a new one (keeping the old one)

7 vote(s)
    63.6%
  1. gloryunited macrumors 6502

With only a Core 2 Duo CPU in my 2010 MBA 13", I'm thinking of upgrading (trade-in). But when?

What do you guys think is the best upgrade cycle for MBA? (In general, not in my particular case)

Unlike the iPhone market, the MBA or even Mac market isn't as big. Another problem I have to face is whether it can be sold when I wish to.

2. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

When its current performance is inadequate for your needs.

3. gloryunited thread starter macrumors 6502

Let's assume, I am indifferent between using old or new model in the first 3 years. But then after 3 years, the residual value of the MBA is 0, due to depreciation.

I am interested in the monetary value. If I keep trading-in whenever a new model comes out, it's like renting a latest MBA every year. :rolleyes: And if the money I spent in this way is not too much more than the 3rd option, then why not?

4. hafr macrumors 68030

In that case, sell your MBA to refurb price just before the announcing of a new model. You'll be taking advantage of someone and you'll be without an MBA for a week or two, but if you can live with that - there's your answer.

5. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

There is a sweet spot with macs that you get the maximum resale for a period of time, it depends on models but I'd say that is around the 2 year mark.

6. Hirakata macrumors 6502

Hirakata

I agree. I'm on the 2 year cycle and I never have a problem selling my previous Mac for around 60% what I paid. I could probably get more but I just want to move it and don't need the hassle. That 60% goes toward my new Mac purchase.