Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mbpmpb17

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 5, 2010
There seems to be some complaints about the latest version of the MBP (like the battery life indicator etc).

Just curious, how often to they do minor updates to the hardware during the lifecycle?
And as a buyer, how would I know when the product was built and what minor update version it is?
Also, just curious historically what kind of changes do they make over the course of a version?

Thanks!

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
They usually only update hardware when there's a new version, so maybe once a year on average.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Nobody knows but Apple. Few years ago, they closely followed Intel's release cycle, bumping the specs every six months or so, but the Intel's cycle has since changed and things have slowed down in the industry considerably.

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017
I don't think there is any way to know exactly which minute changes are made throughout the 9 - 48+ month lifecycle of a specific release. Mass-produced laptops are using sourced parts from many different companies...there could be products/components/parts from well over 100 companies inside a single MacBook Pro, and if Apple released all of the specifics and alterations, it would make people's heads explode. Further, if say 2, 3, 5, or more different companies are making the identical part, building it to Apple's spec, it would be extremely hard to individually document this (and it could give rise to people demanding a specific machine with or without a certain part from a certain maker, which would be a logistical nightmare, as was with the Samsung vs. LG screens.)

Apple could have conceivably made some minor alterations, as they aren't generally a company that remains complacent if they see an area where they can improve. For example, with the battery, they could switch to a slightly different electrolyte formulation that provides a slight bit more run time or better run time under heavier load. Or perhaps a minor change in the anodizing spec, for a more robust cosmetic finish that provides enhanced resistance to cosmetic damage. Or if they found that one of their parts suppliers was of acceptable quality but still inferior to other suppliers of the same part, they may have discontinued purchasing that part from that supplier. I don't think even most internal Apple sources would have the specifics on this for obvious reasons.

Nobody knows but Apple. Few years ago, they closely followed Intel's release cycle, bumping the specs every six months or so, but the Intel's cycle has since changed and things have slowed down in the industry considerably.

Agreed.

I've read that with the delays in the smaller die-shrinks, roadmaps and timelines ain't what they used to be!

Reactions: wegster

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
There seems to be some complaints about the latest version of the MBP (like the battery life indicator etc).

Just curious, how often to they do minor updates to the hardware during the lifecycle?
And as a buyer, how would I know when the product was built and what minor update version it is?
Also, just curious historically what kind of changes do they make over the course of a version?

Thanks!
In order to know when a Mac was built, as well as well as the battery, you would need to use an app like Coconut battery.

As to what the others said, I agree. No way to know for sure, unless you are Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.