how often will you upgrade with the apple watch purchase?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Appl3FTW, Mar 13, 2015.

?

How often will you upgrade the apple watch?

1. Every year

8 vote(s)
    17.0%
  2. Every 2 years

15 vote(s)
    31.9%
  3. Every 3 years

6 vote(s)
    12.8%
  4. More than 3 years

4 vote(s)
    8.5%
  5. Not interested in upgrading in short term, buy and keep

4 vote(s)
    8.5%
  6. Whenever a redesign happens

10 vote(s)
    21.3%
  1. Appl3FTW macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

if you purchase one this year and let's say a new one comes out next year.. how often will you upgrade? Poll

2. papa8706 macrumors 6502a

Really depends on what the updates have in store. If it's cool redesign or new hardware sensors I'd be much more apt to update. If it's just a update to the processor and what not I won't bother

3. Appl3FTW thread starter macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

I should've posted an option that whenever a redesign happens.. dang.

4. ButteryScrollin macrumors 6502a

I'll update for at least one of the three:

- improved battery life
    - thinner/less bulky design
    - improved health features/sensors/

5. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Impossible question to answer at this point. I first have to like the first iteration enough to not return it. After that it would depend on the quality of advancements in the superseding model. It definitely wouldn't be based on a specific interval.

6. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

As if by magic... :)

7. Appl3FTW thread starter macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

sweet.. thank u :apple:

8. Mr Rabbit macrumors 6502a

Mr Rabbit

Probably every two years just so I can be well trained on the current tech.

This will likely be a product similar to the iPad though in that the majority of consumers adopt a longer refresh cycle.

9. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Another upgrade treadmill. I'll pass, thanks.

10. camtechman56 macrumors regular

I will be buying just one time, it will be aluminum grey, 42mm, black teflon band. because as of now I have a Iphone though by next year I will be moving to gear. I have already picked up a small windows notebook as a start to pull away from apple. I'm not about fashion I want function. if they want to be in the fashion business maybe they should make jewelry not computers.

11. bbeagle macrumors 68040

bbeagle

If I do get the first Apple Watch, I'll probably upgrade to version 2 or 3 - whichever version gives better battery life, and functionality to work without an iPhone.

I bought the original iPad, I didn't upgrade until the iPad Air (5th iPad). Because there was no compelling reason to upgrade until then.

I bought the original iPhone, I didn't upgrade until the iPhone 4 (3rd iPhone). I saw no reason to get the 3GS.

12. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Like I do with my iPhone, I don't feel the need to upgrade every time Apple introduces a new one.

13. Norcal. macrumors regular

I'll upgrade it whenever a significant change happens

14. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

Quoted for truth.

15. gcooldude86 macrumors 6502

Spending over $1600 on this watch I'm going to keep it for at least 3 years if not more. Aful lot of money to put out every two years or so.

16. twisted-pixel macrumors 6502a

twisted-pixel

I've had my pebble for nearly two years...have no plans to upgrade it, so I suspect the same for the apple watch.

*maybe* in two years time if they have something new and awesome to offer then I might consider it

17. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

Well, I upgraded my mechanical watch about 20 years ago, so thinking I might go 2-3 years on this one ;)

18. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

I'm still using an iPad 2 quite happily. I will need a significant change to the watch to upgrade. If I was just getting the Sport I would probably upgrade more quickly but plan on the SS Link.

19. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

For me I'll upgrade when ever I have money too.

20. Technodynamic macrumors 6502

Technodynamic

bingo.

21. FrankySavvy macrumors 65816

My theory.

Apple releases the new Apple Watch - April 24th, 2015. Worldwide rollout takes until the end of the summer, to early fall.

New editions released by the Fall for the Holiday Season to promote the watch. Probably during the iPhone 6S Fall event. No internal or design updates just new materials for the casings and bands. A perfect gift for the holidays.

Apple will showcase new updated watch OS at WWDC 2016 along with iOS 10 and the next OSX.

New Apple Watch launches alongside iPhone in September 2016 iPhone event. 17 months after "first" generation model launch and 2 years after announcement.

I don't expect a redesign, I expect more sensors, "S2" processor and better battery life. Perhaps an upgrade option for the first Apple Watch offered as well. atleast for the battery.

The cycle will continue to be yearly at the iPhone event. Redesign perhaps every two or three years, maybe in 2017. I do not expect the watch to change much. I think apple will stick with square design, digital crown and friends button/retina display. It will get a little thinner, probably about as thin as the crown itself. Focus will be on battery life and sensors!.

The reasoning behind my theory for not seeing a second generation Apple Watch until the end of next year 2016.

1)The Apple Watch is already pretty powerful - There was an article that the "S1" processor is on par with the fifth generation iPod Touch or the A5 chip. For a smartwatch, that is pretty slick. Most tasks will be performed by the iPhone. No need to watch 1080p video on the Watch ;).

2)Requires iPhone - iPhone performs many of the tasks of the watch. Therefore upgrading to a new iPhone can therefore make the watch more powerful.

3)Pretty Thin for a Smartwatch - 10.5mm seems bulky for someone who doesn't wear a watch or who hasn't seen the plethora of android wear smartwatches. My Stainless Steel Armitron Analog watch is about 10.5mm. So a 10.5mm smartwatch to me is pretty svelte.

4)Battery is Upgradable. Hopefully Apple is smart and when the second generation Apple Watch is introduced they allow first generation users to upgrade to a better battery, no just a replacement. That would be awesome! So 18 hours could become 40 hours of mixed use ;).

So don't expect your new Apple Watch to be absolutely obsolete come Spring next year, I think the watch will be an every 2 or 3 year upgrade for most people, maybe more. Remember: Replaceable battery :)

22. JFazYankees macrumors 6502

JFazYankees

Assuming it's upgraded every year, I'll likely sell my current one and buy the new one. This is also assuming that current bands will work on generation 2.

23. gorkt macrumors 6502

gorkt

It depends on how the resale value holds up. If I get back half the cost of the watch after the first year, I might be tempted to upgrade yearly.