How Old is current macbook pro case design?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by busterbluth, Jun 23, 2008.

1. busterbluth macrumors 6502

According to what I read, the macbook pro was released in january 2006, but has there been any case changes since then?

Im waiting to upgrade so Im trying to judge how long I'll have to wait for a new design (Im in no rush, my laptop still works). I figure they will have to include some new features besides a processor upgrade within the next year

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Five years, and it's still ahead of everything else on the market. You don't want a case redesign.

3. busterbluth thread starter macrumors 6502

5 years? But it was released in 2006...What am I missing, Im new to apple. And I do want a redesign, when has apple made a misake?

4. 11800506 macrumors 65816

Well the case design actually dates back to when the Aluminum Powerbook G4 was released, so it's used the same design since 2003. The Macbook Pro design is only just a bit thinner than the Aluminum Powerbook, so not much has changed since then. The earliest it could be redesigned is sometime in July when Intel releases the Montevina platform, although it's likely that Apple would wait until August. Also, there is a chance that Apple won't even redesign it since all of this is based on rumors.

5. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

5 years and hopefull many more years to come. Amazing design.

6. tuinte macrumors member

The Powerbook was rebranded the MacBook Pro in 2006. The Powerbook had effectively the same case design as the MacBook Pro has now. In other words, Apple's high end laptop has had the same design for 5 years. But, as Tallest Skil mentioned, the current design is without equal and perfect, so you don't want a redesign because then it would be less than perfect. Who wants that?

Michael

7. cattledog macrumors member

cattledog

i'm afraid the new design may be similar to the macbook air. I don't like the design.

I just purchased a macbook pro 4 days ago at the local apple store. i like the current design. So far, i am very pleased with my purchase. I love the backlit keyboard. My wireless connection is flawless! Great machine!

I read that the next re-design will be the beginning of 2009. It's up to you if you want to wait.

8. jmadlena Guest

I agree with those saying a case redesign isn't worth waiting for. I don't see how it could get much better. But then again, I usually can't see how Apple would make most of their products look better, and then they surprise me!

By the way, your (the OP's) screen name is perfect. It is always great to stumble across Arrested Development fans.

Long live Arrested Development! (On DVD, and possibly a movie)

9. busterbluth thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks Brother. Its been 2 years since I bought the DVDs and I still can't stop watching it.

"I'm afraid I just shot my wad, on what was supposed to be a dry run if you will, so now I have a bit of a mess on my hands" classic...

10. jmadlena Guest

That is, without a doubt, the most cleverly written line in a sitcom ever.

Followed closely by

GOB: Zero hour, Michael. It’s the end of the line. I’m the firstborn. I’m sick of playing second fiddle. I’m always third in line for everything. I’m tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I’m mad about, and I’m taking over.

Also the dialogue between GOB and his army wife about her falling in love with Tobias.

Wife: I've joined the Army...
    GOB: To be with your brother?

11. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Why do some people seem so intent on a redesign. Seriously, what's wrong with the MBP case? The only changes I would make are minor (magnetic contacts for latching display, more USB ports, crap like that).

The notorious warping at the seam is about the only thing wrong with it, and using a bunch of magnetic latches would reduce a lot of that. They don't waste our time with stupid ports on the back, USB is available on both sides, the MagSafe power adapter is suh-weet, audio in and out is available. Who can complain? My tires look a lot like tires from the 1930s, but I don't think they should be redesigned and made square for the heck of it.

12. NODEraser macrumors newbie

If you're looking for a good discount, the previous generation refurbished units can be as much as 30% off, while the current ones are only about 15%.

13. 01jamcon macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

I never quite understood why they left so much space around the keyboard and trackpad, especially on the monster 17 incher. But then again, coming from a small little 13 inch Macbook, I probably am likely to think that, and as long as the keys are perfectly functional, my only problem is the aesthetics of it. So, yes I would like to see some sort of redesign, particularly on the inside surfaces.

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

What do you want around that space? You won't be a getting fingerprint reader or anything because that will ruin the asthetics; if anything they will put a reader on the touchpad and use it like that.

15. bov macrumors 6502

i think keyboard on the 17 inch does look a little cramped with the the big speaker grills. Maybe im just too used to my 15 inch ;)