How old of an Imac is still acceptable?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by doobybiggs, Mar 5, 2012.

1. doobybiggs macrumors 6502

doobybiggs

I am curious ... I am trying to convert from windows to mac but want to to it slow and cheap until I figure everything out and see if it is really for me.

I have found a late 2006 Imac with Lion (OSX 10.7.2) on it. 24" monitor version.

Would this be a good starting point for a newbie? What do yall think? :confused:

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That would be the oldest iMac model that can run Mac OS 10.8 when it comes out in the summer. Thus, that would be the oldest iMac you could get by using.

3. doobybiggs thread starter macrumors 6502

doobybiggs

ok so i would get everything the newer ones have in terms of usage in the OS, just not the speed? so it would give me a very good idea what mac is all about then?

would $400 ish depending on the condition be a good buying point? :confused:

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You should get everything. You're right, while you're get everything (as of this writing) it'll be slower that other Macs.

5. doobybiggs thread starter macrumors 6502

doobybiggs

Ok, well that is good. I am not worried about slower speeds as nothing would be near as fast as my PC setup at the moment lol. ;)

I still think the C2D cpu has some kick to it.

6. AkuskaUK macrumors 6502

AkuskaUK

Very true! I have a C2D in my MacBook Pro (15" Early '08) and it still kicks the arse of most modern day Windows laptops, also some desktops.

Like said before, try and get an iMac that is still in Mountain Lion's (10.8) user use.

That way you could possibly stick in a SSD and some more ram and let it run free :D

7. doobybiggs thread starter macrumors 6502

doobybiggs

glad to hear C2D is still doing well!

I found this for the mountain lion OS ...
    iMac models released prior to 2007 are not expected to be able to run it. So if that were true the late 2006 model I am looking at buying would be forever stuck on the OS version it is on now?

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I am fairly positive that iMac can, because it does not have a lowly Intell Intergrated GPU or ATI x1600. It has the nice(r) NVIDIA 7300GT/7600GT.

9. AkuskaUK macrumors 6502

AkuskaUK

The C2D models are still strong!, Mine had a logicboard replacement because the faulty 8600GTm that was included took the logicboard out with it :( Apple did me a great thing and did it for free!, Even now my '08 MBP gets people complimenting how well it runs, looks and feels!

2.4Ghz 08' MacBook Pro still running beautifully till this day...

Thats why i can't understand why Apple is dropping so much support for older machines when even my MBP can still run it... Good luck on your purchase though!

10. 7thMac macrumors 6502

I'm not sure that the 2006 C2D will run Mountain Lion. There are some articles on this site that describe the models that can be upgraded. The list could change by the time the final is released.

We still have one of these iMacs and I'm not pleased at the speed running Lion. I'm very tempted to go back one or two OSX versions or at the least, to do a clean install. Memory is maxed out at 4GB physical (3.2 GB recognized by the system).

11. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Some sources blanket the whole white iMac line as being "unsupported". But they fail to list on only supported model, the 24" MA456LL. It's supported because it doesn't have an "outdated" GPU.

12. doobybiggs thread starter macrumors 6502

doobybiggs

hmmm ... I guess either way I will have the most updated OS for a few months while learning about it.

How much do you think the prices will plummet on the 2006 models if they are not supported in 10.8?

Just curious because if I really like mac and want to just sell this one and buy a newer/better one to get 10.8 and on for a few years would I lose a lot of money on the move?

13. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The 2006 24" iMac will be able to run 10.8, but it won't be very fast. The prices for the non-24" models will probably drop a bit more before they hit bottom.

14. doobybiggs thread starter macrumors 6502

doobybiggs

so should I not even worry about 10.8 on this machine and just learn the OS and see if I wanna stay with macs from now on? Then IF I do go buy a good one?

15. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Yes. But just keep in mind, 10.8 is going to be the last very of Mac OS X that will run on that iMac. If you do end up liking Mac, you can get a new iMac or Macbook Pro. If you don't, those old white iMacs run Windows 7 pretty well.

16. matbook101 macrumors 6502

matbook101

Just go to you're local apple store / bestbuy and play around with them for an hour or two. That should be enough to figure it out.

17. noahc macrumors member

I don't think its worth paying $400 for that machine. I would get quite a bit newer one for a little more money.

18. lamboman macrumors 6502

If you've currently got a display but don't want to spend a huge amount of money on a new Mac, have you considered a Mac mini? Maybe a current, lower-end model? That would both give you the support for future OS X versions and wouldn't really break the bank.

As for the iMac you have mentioned, I'd definitely avoid. Just because they're "not slow" doesn't mean that they won't lose support in the future. At the end of the day, everything becomes unsupported at some point, so picking a machine that is now at least 5 years old doesn't seem sensible to me.

19. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

I used to have a late 2006 17" 2.0GHz,1 gig,ati x1600 default 128mb,clean install snow leopard...bought on craigs for $400 (almost 2 years ago)

I found it ran super fast,and was quiet as all heck (i couldn't hear it unless i put head right against back)

Now i only used it for internet and office work...but was very useful machine!

20. doobybiggs thread starter macrumors 6502

doobybiggs

hmmmm mac mini huh? I have not even thought out that :(

They seem to be around 400ish on ebay for a 2009 model ... that is not bad right?

do they run the cool or do they get hot and melt in that tiny box?:confused:

21. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

I have a 2010 Mac Mini at work. runs for weeks at a time.
    It gets warm to the touch but not hot.

and ultra quiet...just like any Mac

22. doobybiggs, Mar 6, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2012

doobybiggs thread starter macrumors 6502

doobybiggs

hmmm thanks ... ok so I guess my search has now moved over to a mac mini lol. Guess I better go post in the appropriate section now.

Thanks everyone for helping me with this, I had no idea mac mini's existed ;)

and just so I am clear ... is the only real difference between the two the built in monitor in the imac?

23. Fishrrman macrumors G4

"I have found a late 2006 Imac with Lion (OSX 10.7.2) on it. 24" monitor version."

As of right now, the late 2006 (which I believe is the "first run" of the "Intel iMacs") -will not- run the upcoming Mountain Lion OS.

I believe the model you're talking about is referred to as the "revision B" of the white Intel iMacs. I have a white Intel iMac 24" (purchased in April 2007, just after the first "aluminum" iMacs were released), and it will not run Mountain Lion.

Let me rephrase that a bit: as of -now-, the revision B white Intel iMac won't run ML without some tweaking, which I haven't tried yet (not even sure if that will help). I'll guess the reason is because the boot EFI is not 64-bit "clean", but don't quote me on that.

The revision B's -do- run Lion without problems, mine runs fast and smoothly with it.

If the late 2006 you're considering is in good shape, everything working, and you can get it for a good price, it might be "a good place to start" insofar as the Mac is concerned. But realize when you buy it that you will be "left behind" a bit as the new OS moves forward.

$400 is a decent price. If you already have Windows, have you given some thought to picking up a late-model, refurbished (by Apple) Mac Mini? It will have a more-modern processor, and you can just plug in your existing mouse, keyboard, and monitor....

24. doobybiggs thread starter macrumors 6502

doobybiggs

thanks for the info ...

As for the mac mini, yes I looked into that. However, I do not feel a $750 mac mini would be a good place to start ... in case I hate it lol
    http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/mac_mini

I have looked on ebay and found 2009 editions for $400ish ...which I think would be a good start ... what ya think about that?

25. jcoop macrumors member

Not quite. Mac minis use laptop hard drives--5400 rpm instead of the desktop 7200 rpm drives in iMacs. Also, the vast majority of Mac minis use integrated graphics rather than discrete GPUs; most iMacs (barring a few entry-level models) use discrete graphics cards.

FWIW, I still use a late-2006 white iMac (20", 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo) as my everyday home Mac (I have a newer one elsewhere in the house, where the kids won't get to it, but the 2006 iMac is in the most convenient location, so I use it more). The only thing that makes it feel really slow is encoding video; other than that, it does just fine.