Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crazydreaming

macrumors 6502a
unixfool said:
I know its retail.

You're missing my point. The point being, they're spending wayyy too much time scrutinizing potential employees then paying them what amounts to peanuts.

I've been working quite awhile and while I'm not in an HR position, I'm in a senior position where I work. Last I checked, retail positions at that pay level don't warrant such interview scrutiny. Then again, I've never worked retail (thank God).

In the IT field, when a potential employer expects you to have a certification in a known field, it usually means a good position and good pay...certainly better than $10/hr. Now, to a college student and maybe someone who lives where the cost-of-living isn't all that high, $10/hr is a good bit. I'm not knocking that. I'm knocking the fact that someone here mentioned that they were going to tiered interviews for a job in that pay range. It doesn't make sense, especially for what amounts to an entry-level position. I usually see people getting multiple interviews when the pay is more like $30+/hr.

One question: are all the positions that mklos mentioned considered retail? Some of those positions seem to have nothing to do with sales, IMO.

You are so right. I'm going to apply, but I need the job now, not months down the road, so if they are going to give me a big hard time as far as hiring goes... It's simply not worth it. Plenty of other places out there that I'm sure won't jerk you around so much for $8.

MNSUGrad07

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2006
Mankato, MN
unixfool said:
I know its retail.

You're missing my point. The point being, they're spending wayyy too much time scrutinizing potential employees then paying them what amounts to peanuts.

I've been working quite awhile and while I'm not in an HR position, I'm in a senior position where I work. Last I checked, retail positions at that pay level don't warrant such interview scrutiny. Then again, I've never worked retail (thank God).

In the IT field, when a potential employer expects you to have a certification in a known field, it usually means a good position and good pay...certainly better than $10/hr. Now, to a college student and maybe someone who lives where the cost-of-living isn't all that high, $10/hr is a good bit. I'm not knocking that. I'm knocking the fact that someone here mentioned that they were going to tiered interviews for a job in that pay range. It doesn't make sense, especially for what amounts to an entry-level position. I usually see people getting multiple interviews when the pay is more like $30+/hr.

One question: are all the positions that mklos mentioned considered retail? Some of those positions seem to have nothing to do with sales, IMO.

Unix:
Just an FYI, Best Buy starts people off at 10-12/hr here in my local store for Geek Squad. I know you have to go through three interviews for the hiring process. They may require a tiered system because the training they give new employees is fairly expensive. I know thats the case at Best Buy and they want somebody who is dedicated and not quit two months after being hired. The training for Geek Squad is quite long and intense. While it may just be retail the company spends a lot of time and money on training. Like you said you haven't worked retail but it is fairly common to have a few interviews. Hell when I worked at Target I had three interviews. Just my 2 cents.

unixfool

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2006
East Coast
MNSUGrad07 said:
Unix:
Just an FYI, Best Buy starts people off at 10-12/hr here in my local store for Geek Squad. I know you have to go through three interviews for the hiring process. They may require a tiered system because the training they give new employees is fairly expensive. I know thats the case at Best Buy and they want somebody who is dedicated and not quit two months after being hired. The training for Geek Squad is quite long and intense. While it may just be retail the company spends a lot of time and money on training. Like you said you haven't worked retail but it is fairly common to have a few interviews. Hell when I worked at Target I had three interviews. Just my 2 cents.

You make a good point, but if they spent a good bit of time in ONE interview (maybe a 3-4 hour session), they should get a pretty good idea on who's going to stick around and who isn't. I'm thinking interviews for retail positions and interviews for IT positions aren't all THAT different, other than the mindsets of the interviewers. I'm just saying that it seems that Apple seems to be spending a lot of time interviewing people to fill entry-level positions. Maybe that's the difference. We tend to look for people who already have experience...experienced hirees are less likely to quit after a few months.

Anyways, I expected the pay to be a bit better, considering the amount of time spent trying to find the perfect employee and the fact that it's Apple we're talking about...I guess they have to cut corners somewhere.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.