Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

When did your MBP first need to be repaired

• MBP needed repair within 1st year HDD or Optical Drive only

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • MBP needed repair within 1st year other than HDD or OD

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • rMBP needed repair within 1st year

Votes: 9 28.1%
  • MBP needed repair within 2nd year HDD or Optical Drive only

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • MBP needed repair within 2nd year other than HDD or OD

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • MBP needed repair within 3rd year HDD or Optical Drive only

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • MBP needed repair within 3rd year other than HDD or OD

Votes: 4 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

inscrewtable

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 9, 2010
I'm just checking the hypothesis that the majority of first time repairs happen in the first year. Also for countries that require Apple to offer two years warranty on MBP I'd like to see how the percentage of first time repairs that happen within the first two years as well.

The hypothesis is also that if it lasts two years without needing repair, then it will probably not need repair in the third year either.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
I'm just checking the hypothesis that the majority of first time repairs happen in the first year. Also for countries that require Apple to offer two years warranty on MBP I'd like to see how the percentage of first time repairs that happen within the first two years as well.

The hypothesis is also that if it lasts two years without needing repair, then it will probably not need repair in the third year either.

Two and a half years. And it's taken a year an a half to finally have the issue maybe corrected. But I'm in the US where AppleCare is usually worth buying.

inscrewtable

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 9, 2010
Two and a half years. And it's taken a year an a half to finally have the issue maybe corrected. But I'm in the US where AppleCare is usually worth buying.

I have a poll up now, I would assume that it's not the hdd or OD.

travod

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2013
Got a late 2008 Unibody 13 inch when it came out. Still kicking. I've never even changed the battery... gets around an hour give or take of usage.

bkribbs

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2012
Hey OP, maybe add in the first post to share the problem for people who post. Replacing a battery is quite different from a failing Logic Board!

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2009
My old MBP was almost three years old (give or take six months when it had its first (and my only) big problem. Now, with my mid-2012 MBP. I am not doing anything to cause the errors and I rarely ever put in any CDs in my optical drive. I only did it because I thought I had did something to loose my optical drive capabilities.

BTW. Is it actually true that outdoor use can cause errors. Like if I were to use it outdoors on a somewhat muggy day. (I'm not really sure how to describe it. I mean it's not a particularly dry day. Right now, I don't EVER have any kind of liquid around my MBP or take it outside.)

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
Poll is missing some important brackets:

1. never, X years old (X=1,2,3,4,5...)

2. after 3 years (this is important because after 3 years there is no warranty!)

For a total of three macs that passed through my household, we have

- first repair after 3.5 years, logic board (nvidia GPU issue)
- never, 4 years and running
- never, 1.5 years and running

nickandre21

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2012
1st warranty repair on the 11th month- Super drive would not read DVDS,when i called on the day of my promised delivery they told me that their waiting for a new display as the test said the webcam would fail soon.

2nd warranty repair on the 18th month- Magsafe port had two of its outer pins burnt.

3rd warranty repair a week after the 2nd warranty repair- Keyboard and trackpad not functioning neither is the usb hub its connected to showing up in system profile, awaiting diagnosis from the service center. Three days now:confused:

Update: Logic board replace and maybe some more stuff lets see

Last edited:

speed4tu

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2009
I have had to put in 3 hard drives and one super drive. This has happened over the last 4 years or so. 17 inch macbook pro

Doward

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2013
Optical drive and right side hinge repair, within 1 year of production.

And I had a *fantastic* experience with the repair:

nukiduz

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2006
last year, my 2009 13" mbp wouldn't start the system. i took the hard drive out, saved all my files, formatted it in all possible ways but still couldn't boot OS X, installed OS X from another mac in the hard drive, put it in back and tried to boot but that either didn't work so I bought another hdd and tried again. I was starting to think it could be the motherboard but then checked on the internet and read about some users having problems with the flat cable between the hdd and the motherboard. it was hard to diagnose, but bought a cable in ebay for like 15€ and everything was fine.

WMD

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2013
Florida, USA
Around three and a half years in, I replaced the fan. It still worked, but had gotten very noisy. Works perfect otherwise. Mid-2009 13".

Yahooligan

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2011
Illinois
Since there are no poll options for these...

Powerbook G4 - "X" key sticks, otherwise works fine
cMBP 15" mid-2012 - 1 year old, no problems or repairs
rMBP 15" early-2013 - A couple of months old, no problems or repairs

cMBP 15" 2011-something - No problems, employer replaced with rMBP

cMBP, early unibody model (Unsure of year, 2009 or so) - Went through a number of units due to bad ODD, multiple bad GPUs, bad USB ports. I was losing faith in Apple's ability to provide reliable hardware, but the later models were working fine (2011+) after I forced my employer to stop giving me like-generations and "upgrade" me to a newer model.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
My Memory Controller and consequently, Logic Board needed to be replaced after 22months

skier777

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2010
My MBP is 3 years old. Over the course of 5-6 repairs there is no longer a single original part in the entire machine.

That is correct, every piece has been replaced at one time or another.

kamuix

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2011
california
2010 macbook air works like the day i bought it :D

the cmbp 2012 is about 5 months and no issues.

i had an older mac which the air replaced at the time from 2005 - it was the old macbook pro running the 7800gt. It died around 2010 so before it was 5 yrs with no problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.