How on Earth do I clean this screen?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Steedie86, Jun 9, 2013.

1. Steedie86 macrumors member

Steedie86

Evening people,

First post here, although I've been a long time lurker.

So I've had a 27" iMac, the late 2012 model, for a few months and love it. However, showing my girlfriend something resulted in finger prints all over the screen, which drives me crazy. So cleaned them off after the screen had been off for a while with a damp cloth

But now I have what looks like water marks all over the screen, and no matter how hard I try, they won't go away! They just move over the screen almost like it's grease. It looks horrible when the screen is off so I'd really like to get it nice and clean again, but everything I try just seems to fail or make it worse

2. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I very occasionally use Monster ScreenClean or Zeiss Lens cleaning wipes. Usually I just use a microfiber cloth slightly motioned and then careful drying with the cloth. Since that didn't work for you, the other stuff I use might help.

3. Steedie86 thread starter macrumors member

Steedie86

4. vtyler98 macrumors member

iKlear kit from amazon, certified by Apple and works great for iPods, iPad, iPhone, iMac, and any other type of glass screen and lasts a long time. Comes with several microfiber cloths and very inexpensive.

5. Reddyt5 macrumors newbie

6. Fatboy71 macrumors 65816

Fatboy71

All I use are a slightly moistened micro fibre cloth and a dry one to dry it off. The screen is gleaming after I do this.

I also have a large camera lens cleaning cloth. I use this to quickly remove finger marks and other little mark off the screen.

My opinion of these screen cleaning kits is they are just a waste of money and give you no better results (sometimes worse) than the method I described at the beginning.

7. Lancer, Jun 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2013

Lancer macrumors 68020

Lancer

Love my 27" but cleaning the screen is a problem.

You need 2 cloths and some window or LCD screen cleaner but don't use too much.

Good thing is once you turn the iMac on you can't seen most of the marks.

The biggest problem I have is holding the screen steady.

8. beeinformed macrumors 6502

So do you use a slightly dampened micro fibre cloth to clean the screen? I've been trying to find a simple solution to clean the screen. Thanks!

9. Fatboy71 macrumors 65816

Fatboy71

Depending on how dirty the screen is yes I use a slightly dampened micro fibre cloth. Basically, wring out as much water as you can out of the micro fibre cloth. Then use a dry one to dry the screen. It's really good if the screen is dusty too, as the damp micro fibre cloth removes and holds the dust, rather than it floating around and then resettling back on the screen.

It's a really simple and very effective way to clean not just an iMac screen, but any other device, such as iPad, iPhone, MacBook.

If my screen is not too dirty of has the odd one or two little finger marks, I use a large lens cleaning cloth. This does an excellent and effective job at quickly removing the marks, and just generally giving the screen a quick clean.

Just make sure though that the two micro fibre cloths you use to clean the screen, have not been used before with some cleaning product used on them, has this might damage the coating on the screen. Basically have two cloths solely for the purpose of cleaning your screen.

I normally give my iMac screen a wipe over with the damp micro fibre cloth once every 10-14 days, and I use the large lens cleaning cloth in-between.

In my opinion there is no easier or better way to clean the screen.

10. JSchwartz15 macrumors regular

NEVER use window cleaner! It has little pieces in it meant to scrape glass so that it "shines".

11. loybond macrumors regular

Umm, no. Windex etc. is ammonia-based, which is abrasive, yes, but doesn't affect the glass itself, which is why it's effective at what it is.

I use Windex, then a microfiber cloth. Looks like brand new.

12. mentaluproar macrumors 68000

mentaluproar

I've had good luck with Windex white vinegar spray. It's gentle but very effective.

13. MacReloaded macrumors 6502

MacReloaded

I clean the cloth before I clean the screen. Streak free every time.

14. mcpix macrumors regular

I would be very careful with the Windex. Not all "glass" surfaces are really glass (like the "glass" screen on my 2011 iMac). Even Windex makes a special cleaner for LCD's and Flat Screens.

I've removed the outer "glass" screen on my 2011 iMac and use iKlear or Monster Screen Cleaner on the screen. Works great!

15. bryan85 macrumors regular

The cloth that came with the iMac. There seems to be two sides to it. If I remember correctly, use the one without the logo on it.

16. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

I tried eye glass cleaner with a microfibre cloth and the more i tried to dry it off the worse the streaks got. I had the same result with windex and a microfibre cloth. The eye glass cleaner was better but it still made nasty cloud streaks the more i tried to dry it off.

I may try that iklear stuff and a new cloth. maybe the cloth i have is dirty or greasy or something.

17. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

it really sucks to clean. I tried iklear stuff and i have marks all over .. its really hard to get rid of:(

18. DJJAZZYJET macrumors 6502

I have found this works very well, and doesn't leave water marks.

1. Wet a kitchen towel with water.
    2. Wipe the screen thoroughly.
    3. Get a dry kitchen towel and soak up the excess water.
    4. Get a standard screen cleaning cloth (micro-fibre works best) and wipe over the screen a few times and it should be completely clean and streak free. If there are little marks, get the screen cleaning cloth and rub over it.

19. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy