Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I'm having a weird issue..

3TB Fusion Retina iMac here. Created the partition in Boot Camp, but upon rebooting to install Windows 8 it tells me there's no GPT partition or some such error. I tried reformatting that partition in the Windows installer, but still no luck. - Simply can't get Windows 8 to install.

*sigh*

Anyone managed to make it work?

tillsbury

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2007
With fusion you have to install Windows 8 on a hard-drive-only partition. Windows doesn't support fusion drives. There are plenty of guides on the web how to do this on an old-style iMac.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
With fusion you have to install Windows 8 on a hard-drive-only partition. Windows doesn't support fusion drives. There are plenty of guides on the web how to do this on an old-style iMac.

I understand that, but I still can't get it to install.

azure247

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2008
are u formatting the partition labeled bootcamp?

this has nothing to do with an issue with installing windows 8 since the above step has to be done first before the install starts

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
are u formatting the partition labeled bootcamp?

this has nothing to do with an issue with installing windows 8 since the above step has to be done first before the install starts

I formatted the partition named BOOT CAMP in the actual Windows installer after booting from the Windows 8 disc after creating the partition with Boot Camp Assistant. Still wouldn't install afterwards, though.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle

habeebhashim

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2009
Singapore
I'm having a weird issue..

3TB Fusion Retina iMac here. Created the partition in Boot Camp, but upon rebooting to install Windows 8 it tells me there's no GPT partition or some such error. I tried reformatting that partition in the Windows installer, but still no luck. - Simply can't get Windows 8 to install.

*sigh*

Anyone managed to make it work?

I had the same issue with a plain 1TB drive and Windows 7 on my old 2011 iMac. Disk Util wouldn't even remove the partition already created under bootcamp.

Only way I could solve it was internet recovery (sob) to Lion (as my Mavericks install USB wasn't able to recognise Macintosh HD either) and upgrade to Mavericks and then use bootcamp assistant after which everything worked fine.

With the new 5K iMac, Win 7 installed without a hitch on the 3TB Fusion (phew)

Are you able to recover the partition and make it a whole drive again? If so, maybe you should give it another shot.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I had the same issue with a plain 1TB drive and Windows 7 on my old 2011 iMac. Disk Util wouldn't even remove the partition already created under bootcamp.

Only way I could solve it was internet recovery (sob) to Lion (as my Mavericks install USB wasn't able to recognise Macintosh HD either) and upgrade to Mavericks and then use bootcamp assistant after which everything worked fine.

Are you able to recover the partition and make it a whole drive again? If so, maybe you should give it another shot.

I am able to repartition the drive as one, seemingly. I tried with Windows 7, as well, and it gets to the pick your language/country screen, and completely freezes there, so I have to hard power off the system. Joy..

forg0t

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2014
do you have winclone? One option is to use another mac to create the bootcamp partition properly with the drivers you need, then to clone it onto a partition on your drive.

Not ideal, but might work.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
do you have winclone? One option is to use another mac to create the bootcamp partition properly with the drivers you need, then to clone it onto a partition on your drive.

Not ideal, but might work.

Yeah. But a bit of a pain to make that work. I'd like this new computer to do what it's supposed to...

Just helped my neighbor set up my old 2012 iMac with 1TB Fusion disk with Windows 7 tonight. No issues. My new iMac? Nightmare. Sad panda is me.

habeebhashim

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2009
Singapore
Yeah. But a bit of a pain to make that work. I'd like this new computer to do what it's supposed to...

Just helped my neighbor set up my old 2012 iMac with 1TB Fusion disk with Windows 7 tonight. No issues. My new iMac? Nightmare. Sad panda is me.

Thats just weird isn't it. Tough...

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
The issue was twofold:

1.) File Vault needs to be off, to do the installation.

2.) My original Windows 7 DVD disc wouldn't work. I had to download a new ISO and burn it to a USB stick using Boot Camp Assistant for it to boot correctly.

3.) I haven't tried Windows 8 again yet, but I will as an ISO to see if it works better...

Mydrivec

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2012
RI

Any suggestions? I get to the desktop and get BSOD every time.

Called Applecare and they said Windows via Bootcamp is not supported yet. Drivers for the 5K will be coming but there is no estimated date.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle

Called Applecare and they said Windows via Bootcamp is not supported yet. Drivers for the 5K will be coming but there is no estimated date.

That's weird. I suggest making an ISO Boot USB disk from a Windows 8.1 ISO. I have it working just fine on the desktop using the Boot Camp assistant. Just literally finished installing. :)

habeebhashim

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2009
Singapore

Win 7 / 8 /8.1 all 64-bit versions are most definitely supported and many are already running.

http://support.apple.com/en-sg/HT5639

I installed mine with an ISO as well. Don't have a superdrive any more. I downloaded the ISO and used the key that came with my Win 7 Home Edition box.

As WilliamG suggests, make sure that Filevault is turn off and try with an ISO.

Mydrivec

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2012
RI
Update

Hi all...thanks for the replies.

So after I posted, I looked around and found others with successful installs. I called Applecare again and the 2nd rep confirmed that Win7 is supported and should install. There should be no driver issues.

So I tried again and have no explanation as to why this install was successful.

Over the last 2 days, I tried installing Win7 Premium via the Bootcamp Assistant and received the following results: 3 times the install failed somewhere in the process, 3 times it succeeded all the way to the Win7 desktop where I promptly was hit with BSOD. The last time it worked.

The process was identical each time...install from an ISO on a 32gb USB drive. Oddly enough, I have received one BSOD on the last install but so far, it has taken all the windows updates (around 200 of them) and allowed me to install Steam, Antivirus and Firefox.

I'm hoping this install sticks because I LOVE the new machine!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.