How Orb outputs to TV at the moment :(

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by DaveTo, Mar 10, 2009.

1. DaveTo macrumors member

So I bought the Apple AV cable today (I got the official AV cable only because it has an optional USB cable so you can charge it while in use) and fired up Orb on my jailbroked iPhone 3G. Tried 2 different programs for displaying the output since Orb doesnt seem to have access to output to a tv.

First I tried screensplitr and got these results:

Orb output attempt using Screensplitr app (disregard bluriness, bad camera).

As you can see, the framerate is about 2fps and there are probably only 256 colours being displayed. Has anyone been able to get around this framerate issue? This makes this app unusable for Orb or any other video streaming application.

Then I tried another app through Cydia, called TVOut (as another poster mentioned in this thread) and got these results:

Orb output attempt using TVOut app (screen on iPhone is black, can't see anything).

Picture is much better in terms of framerate and colours BUT for some reason the application doesnt know to change to landscape mode in terms of output, check out the video and you will understand what I mean.

I chatted with the developer of TVOut and he says:

"As listed on the Known Issues page in the TVOut preferences application, landscape support (rotation) is still on the todo list. Rotation itself is quite simple to do; adding proper preference support and making sure that it works in every case, unfortunately, is not.

I had planned to release support for rotation and scaling shortly after the original TVOut release, but my work and other projects have taken precedence. I still hope to update the extension eventually; at the moment, though, I have no idea when that will be."

Bummer...

I'd really like to get this working as the TV captured in this video is in a room without cable, and it'd be nice to have some form of TV in there.

2. lawtyger macrumors newbie

DaveTo. . . I've love to be able to get as far as you did.

I've got TV out but can only get it to show what's on the iphone's screen - I cannot navigate via the iphone through options (such as selecting Live TV and choosing a channel). The only thing I can think of is that I'm not using the official apple cables. But, I can get all my programs to show up on the screen and it appears the iphones sensitivity is working because when I open a program called Handy Level and move the iphone around the level actually moves. I just can't get any response when I touch the iphones screen to select options.

Any suggestions?