How OS X helped save the day

Discussion in 'macOS' started by macrem, Jun 12, 2010.

1. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

Hi,

I thought it might be interesting to have a thread to share stories about how OS X helped save the day giving real world examples. Here are a few of my stories to get it started:

#1: A colleague & I were in a rush to go a meeting, but neither of us had printed some needed information.

It was almost the end of the work day & he had already shut off his computer (something Windows users tend to do regularly whereas Mac users tend to take advantage of Sleep for a variety of reasons) & was rebooting his XP machine, but I just woke my Mac up & started printing the information.

As a test, I said let's see what happens if I also reboot & print. Even though he had higher h/w specs a huge head start, I was able to reboot & reopen OS X Mail to print the message before his machine could finish booting & load Outlook. OS X ran circles around his machine with less bloated software.

#2: A colleague exported a file which contains Chinese characters, & then declared the file to be corrupted as the double byte unicode characters would not display properly on his XP machine. He sent me a copy. With OS X's default international support, I was able to demonstrate that the file was not corrupted.

Then he found out that he had to install support for Eastern European languages, which entailed filing an IT ticket so someone could come by his desk with a Windows XP installation CD to add support & then he had to reboot. It was a tremendous loss of time compared to OS X.

#3: not OS X per se... a colleague sent me an Office 2007 pptx file he could not open in Office 2005 using a converter from Microsoft. On my Mac, I used OpenOffice to open that file with no problems, demonstrating that sometimes free OpenOffice is more compatible with MS Office than MS Office is with MS Office.

2. madwolf macrumors member

1. You were in a rush to a meeting and you had time to play and see whose computer gonna boot faster? That's ridiculous. Why are you comparing os x with ancient WinXP?

2. Again, why are you comparing OS X with ancient WinXP?

3. No OS X advantage there, OpenOffice is cross-platform.

3. Gregg2 macrumors 603

I assume that's because Windows users were too scared to "upgrade" to Vista or Windows 7. That's what the other guy had to work with... :rolleyes:

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

There are many such stories of how the Mac saved the day. They didn't start with MacOS X. Two examples:
    • I have thrust my PowerBook into the breech to save the bacon of a colleague who couldn't make a professional presentation because a virus disabled his Windows laptop. My PowerBook disinfected the PowerPoint file and made the presentation.
    • A colleague recently asked me to convert a file to .docx format because her installation of Office 2007 can't open .doc files.

5. macrem thread starter macrumors 65816

macrem

I tried not to explain every detail for brevity's sake, but since you asked: we could see that the others had not yet arrived.

This is standard issue to this day for A LOT of companies. It is also relatively fast version of Windows. We just got Win 7 to test an application on so I can do the same test on that machine but actually overall the machine seems slower with Win 7 than it did with XP, so I wouldn't expect better results.

This is a good one to verify. I'll see if this has improved in Win 7...

That's why I prefaced with: "not OS X..."

6. macrem thread starter macrumors 65816

macrem

Re: #2, I found this info indicating that it depends which Edition of Win 7. If you don't have one of the most expensive Editions, apparently "simply enabling support for East Asian languages via Regional and Language settings" (XP) has gotten a lot harder:

"Welcome to Microsoft Answers community.

The Language Packs are only supported in Windows 7 Ultimate and Windows 7 Enterprise. They will be listed in the Windows Update screen. If you do not have Windows 7 Ultimate you can't use the Language packs."

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7install/thread/36f583a0-fac2-4358-93b0-f2414d0879f7

7. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Let see any Windows machine boot from and external disk (without server help).

8. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

A Language Pack is something different than support for some letters. That answer post is stupid. A language Pack from Microsoft is necessary if you want to change the menus to a new language, the help files and everything. unicode is supported by any OS and that has all the letters in it, which means you can open files with all kind of symbols and letters if you have the right programm that is not too stupid about it. Also you can switch on hundreds of different keyboard layouts in every windows version. You can even use custom keyboard layouts.