How physically robust are MacBook Pros?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by profmatt, Feb 14, 2016.

1. profmatt macrumors 65816

profmatt

I was, er, sitting down in the bathroom with my MacBook Pro perched on the edge of the bath so I could read from it. I've done this a thousand times. Yesterday, however, gravity decided to punish me and the MacBook fell backwards into the empty bath.

The lid has a couple of scuffs and a small dent. The damage appears to be wholly cosmetic. I even ran Apple Hardware Test and it came back A-OK.

Is it likely that there is no other damage, lurking inside? Are these things pretty solid internally?

2. sunapple macrumors 65816

sunapple

Well, they have a solid state drive...

Older MacBooks with regular hard drives might suffer damage to them (although there's a built in protection), not likely anything else is damaged. Just a bunch of chips, battery.

3. Ovedius macrumors 6502

Ovedius

It's probably okay.

Macbooks can generally take a pounding in my experience.

I had a 13" Air that went through hell (got a MASSIVE dent in one corner) and my better half's 13"Pro has been dropped on the bathroom tiles half a dozen times.

Of course you can be properly unfortunate if you drop it funny.
    You see, chance, like gravity, is a bitch.

4. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

I travel globally for work purpose and my MacBook`s have taken it all in their stride; jungles, deserts, arctic, tropics, sub tropics, right now I am on a Retina MacBook live & direct from Vung Tau Vietnam.

The aluminium unibody is bound to pick up dents, scratches, marks, equally a computer is a tool, what`s inside is what`s important. I my experience are very robust, however they pick up battle scares easily thx to the aluminium chassis.

Q-6