How picky are the iMacs when it comes to DL media?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by yg17, May 10, 2007.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I need to pick up some dual layer DVDs to burn some crap, and I know some drives tend to be picky. I have the Pioneer DVR-K06 in my iMac. Whats a good brand to get? And something I can buy in a store instead of online. I used Verbatims with no problems in my old G5, but no one seems to sell them anymore. Wal-Mart used to have them and doesn't anymore, and I didn't have any luck at Staples or Circuit City. Thanks

2. eji macrumors 6502

eji

I'd also like to know this too. And what (cheap) brands would anyone recommend?

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Word to the wise: Do not buy media based on price. Recordable CDs seem to be fairly consistent. However, recordable DVDs seem to vary from brand to brand. DVDs recorded using one drive may not be readable on another. I have even had recorded DVDs to lose their data over time.

As a general rule, recordable optical media a cheap enough to allow you to experiment. Start with the highest quality media you can afford. If that works OK, then try less expensive media. In any event, store your recorded media with minimal exposure to light.