How pink is the rose gold aluminium?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by icewolf247, Sep 10, 2016.

1. icewolf247 macrumors regular

i like the look of the 42mm rose gold aluminium with orange band but little worried it will be more pink than rose gold than I would prefer. How do they look in real life?

2. Celebion macrumors member

Celebion

Depending on the lighting it can range form gold, to copper, to pink.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I will say because of that ability, the Rose Gold watch is a nice watch. Its not really my style, but I do like how the color does appear to shift a bit depending on the lighting.

OP, check out the color in the Apple store and also maybe pictures on the web to get some idea of the color and if that selection is for you

4. Fzang macrumors 65816

Fzang

5. icewolf247 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the advice. I can't get to an Apple Store easily to see it in person and photographs don't always show metallic colours Very well. I already own a rose gold watch but it is much more copper colour than the pictures I have seen

I can always buy it I guess and send it back if I don't like it.

6. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Have you seen a phone in person? It's about the same to my eyes.

7. icewolf247 thread starter macrumors regular

I have had a look at some pictures that look more pink than rose gold which is why I was asking :)

Now though I am wondering that the choice of bands seem quite limited on the rose gold (perhaps also the gold though) but then black, which was my second choice also may be limited on band choice. But I quite like the look on the black Milanese.

So many decisions!

8. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

This is why I have mentioned a few times that, IMO, it would make a lot of sense for Apple to ship bands and faces sepparately, even if they require purchasing the ace with a band. I've been told "everyone else does the same thing", but frankly, I don't care. To me that's just a degraded buyer experience that has obvious room for improvement.

9. ninaco macrumors 6502

ninaco

The band selections that come with the 42mm rose gold are very limited. Orange - what the heck where they thinking there?! Or midnight blue. The blue is neutral and does look good with rose gold.

I think, though, that might the rose gold color will only have a limited number of bands that go well with it. I selected rose gold for my series 2 anyway. :D I've had the rose gold 6s+ for almost a year now and it's still my favorite of Apple's colors.

10. Julien, Sep 11, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2016

Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Besides the obvios 'Bands not included' so Apple is nickel & diming plus the confusion of deviating from a century of standard watch practice it would not be a good 'deal'. The Sports band (and all bands) are likely some of Apple highest profit percentage items, so the cost to Apple for including the band is probably less than $10 for the Sports band. That means that if Apple were to remove the band then in order to maintain the same profit percentage margin on the watch (since the band adds so little to Apple's costs) Apple could only lower the cost of the watch by about $12.

So there is no upside to removing the bands and a LOT of downside. You should just look at it as a near ($12) freebie.

11. icewolf247 thread starter macrumors regular

I ordered the rose gold with orange as it stood out to me most on the page but to cover myself I also ordered the black with black nylon band

Of course, I may end up hating both :)

No idea why I tend towards the watches with the most limited strap combinations. I guess silver goes well with most straps? I do like the idea of the Milanese strap though (if it works reasonably on gold, the black variant on black should work okay) but boy are the Apple ones expensive

12. Celebion macrumors member

Celebion

You might want to check out third party watch bands. I found some nice Milanese straps in rose gold, gold, black, etc. for 15€.
    They might match the apple watch color. I'm sure you'll find reasonable priced ones on amazon.

13. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Like I said, require a bundle with the band. Don;t let me buy without a band, just don't force me to buy some pre packaged configuration. I don't want anything to be cheaper, directly. Let's say I want a black sport watch with a pink band. My option is to buy that watch with the black band and buy a pink band as well. Instead, ring me up for the watch face and a pink band for the exact same cost that watch with the prepacked band would be. I think that would simplify the buying experience (or I guess make it more complex depending on how you see it lol). As it stands I am unlikely to spend a cent on a sport band, and I am sure I am not alone. And lets not forget that their most expensive watch configuration still ships with a sport band... and nothing but a sport band. Peculiar choices.

As far as confusion, I can;t see this causing more confusion than removing a headphone jack. You really think people would be dazed and confused when they want to buy the watch and are told "ok, now let's pick a band." ? Even if so, Apple claims to have courage and all. :p

14. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

That doesn't fit with SKUs.;)

15. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Sure it does. My latest experience with this is how MS sells their surface (bundled with a keyboard). Not hard to do.

Want a watch with a sports band? $399 and you have a few watchfaces option UPCs to choose from on the left and a handful of band options UPCS on the right.

It might not be one set sku but it is absolutely doable.

16. icewolf247 thread starter macrumors regular

Just to follow up on this. I received the rose gold with orange nylon yesterday alongside a space black with black nylon.

I really like the rose gold. Whilst there is a pink element it is more metallic orange and I really like it. Am thinking I will look to a black
    Milanese loop as well, I think they will complement when I tried the black nylon from the other

The black is going to be returned to Apple

17. Tony_YYZ macrumors member

I ordered a 42mm Rose Gold S1. It arrived yesterday and it is definitely not as "pinkish" as the phone. It is subtle and has some copper/orange-ish tones to it. I like it a lot. Plus is the less commonly purchased colour so it stands out a bit more.

See my attached pic.

Attached Files:

18. icewolf247 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, my worry was it would look as pink as the phone but it's nice and I prefer to the black

Although the strap is quite bright, it's also not garish either

Attached Files:

19. Tony_YYZ macrumors member

It looks good!

I really wanted that Space Orange nylon strap but they wouldn't pair it with a Series 1. I really wanted it bundled because the clasp matches the watch body whereas if I were to buy the strap from Apple, it would have a silver clasp.

20. icewolf247 thread starter macrumors regular

Didn't realise the one they sell has a silver clasp. That's a shame

21. Tony_YYZ macrumors member

Yeah unfortunately none of the bands are catered towards the gold or rose gold variants with regards to colour matched clasps.

22. icewolf247 thread starter macrumors regular

That's something to bear in mind. It's only really the Milanese loop I am thinking of for the future though but things can always change