How portable do you find the 15 inc macbook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Hakimm, Jun 4, 2010.

1. Hakimm macrumors member

Yeah pretty self explanatory. Give details of experience if you can. ;)

2. Gator24765 macrumors 6502a

Gator24765

I dont have experience with the 13 or the 17 so i cant compare. That being said my 15" mbp is pretty portable. Fits in my backpack easily and isnt too heavy.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

4. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

I agree completely. Doesn't seem so simple for the folk who love nothing more than to complain about carrying it around, though. Had one person on this forum compare it to a desktop the other day. WTF.

It's very portable, OP.

5. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

My two notebooks prior to my 15" MacBook Pro (the original 2006 model,) were:

Sony PictureBook, a device that would pass for a "Netbook" today. It was low-end even when new, and I ended up running Windows XP on it at the end, and even with its ultra-pokey Pentium MMX 266 and 64 MB RAM, it was usable as my primary machine. (Which is why I find it funny when people complain how slow a netbook with a 1.2 GHz CPU and 512 MB RAM is.) I sold it four years after buying it for 50% what I paid for it. Incredible resale value on this puppy. I sold it to help buy....
    PowerBook G4, 12" Aluminum. It was the minimal config, bought when it was the current model, but late in its life, and bought as a refurb; later upgraded to 640 MB RAM. My daughter still uses it to play games.

Then to the original MacBook Pro, fully loaded (minus the $300 upgrade to add 8% CPU speed.)

So I had been using *VERY* portable machines for quite a few years before getting my 15"er. I had to go get a new laptop case, since my old one (which I loved dearly; the absolute *PERFECT* size for the 12" PB,) was just too small.

Moving from 12" to 15" alone, including bag switch, wasn't too big a deal. I have found that I use the shoulder strap a lot more, whereas on my 12" bag, I tended to just hand-carry. The big detriment to easy portability was the fact that with the bigger bag I started packing more stuff in with the laptop. My 12" bag could carry the laptop, power cord, plus a couple pens, business cards, small notepad, USB drive, and that was about it. My 15" bags (I've been through a few, trying to find one I really like,) tend to get packed with a lot more stuff ,weighing it down.

If you can keep your accessories to a minimum, a 15" shouldn't be a problem at all.

6. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

About as portable as a 15inch laptop is to be honest, I've never found myself thinking "Oh man I wish I had the 13" or a netbook, this thing is like carrying bricks around"

So there we go. Question answered, thread done.

7. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

Size is ok, but the bezel is quite large so you could probably get a 15" panel in a smaller footprint.

Thinness is great.

The biggest issue for me is the weight. Throw in a few books and your bag starts getting heavy.

8. Gator24765 macrumors 6502a

Gator24765

Perfect solution for that, forget the books ;)

9. Hakimm thread starter macrumors member

10. Gator24765 macrumors 6502a

Gator24765

In all reality, its pretty much in your opinion. depends how much you are going to be carrying with your mbp. If you dont mind a heavy load etc

11. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

I've gone from 13" MacBook to 15" MBP and found it to be very nice.

The screen on 13" was just too limiting while adding nothing in terms of portability (for me)

MB was 2.2 kg while MBP is 2.5 and I didn't notice the difference when I switched at all.

New 13"ers are 2.0 kg so it might be more noticeable, but they still have the same 1280x800 screens so its a no go for me :)

12. Black.Infinity macrumors 6502

Black.Infinity

people hardly notice the weight diff between 13 to 15

there is no reason to go to 13 due to portability and i think the only reason people go with 13 is price

but if somebody really needs portability he should go with MacBook air

my netbook weight is close to MBA so i think if people ignore less port and no super drive however you pay a lot - but MBA is better solution

and i already had mbp 13 before got stolen :((((

I'm planing to get 15 due to bigger size and power

13. jbyun04 macrumors 6502a

jbyun04

Perfectly portable. Anybody complaining really needs to do a few pushups if they can't handle this.

14. geta macrumors 6502a

so think again....
    i don't know where did you came with all this BS, but i could feel the weight\size difference between 17>15>13 !!!

i had PB 17" and after less then a year i sold it and got PB 15" coz it was too heavy and big to carry around (and im not talking about the flight nightmares).
    now i got MBP 13" (not coz of the price), that i love, its way more portable form my old PB 15" and still i got plenty of power. the only minus is the screen - the day they make MBP 13" matte,i will change it, and i will consider to go back to MBP 15" only if they put back the express card (this is way i was using PB until now), and don't start with the ix CPU's - its still dual core!

if you want expensive netbook get MBA, if you looking for real power get MacPro, if you looking for "desktop replacement" get MBP 15"\17", and if you looking portability\power get MBP 13".

my 2cent.

15. Black.Infinity macrumors 6502

Black.Infinity

some people do realize the diff and some people don't that's how simple it is

16. Black.Infinity macrumors 6502

Black.Infinity

17. MeTHoD-X macrumors newbie

Very portable. Get a sleeve for it and you can bring it pretty much anywhere. If you think a 15" MacBook Pro is too big then you should consider an iPad or a netbook. You won't get much more portable than the MBP line.