How portable is a 15inch to the users?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by harrrram, Dec 13, 2011.

1. harrrram macrumors newbie

I'd like to find out whether the 15inch MBP is quite portable or not

The weight does not matter to me but its just the size...

considering a 13 or 15 mbp.

Thanks in advance

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

How can anyone answer your question? Go to a store and hold one. Nobody can tell you how a 15" will feel to you compared to a 13".

3. Ant.honey macrumors regular

4. mape2k macrumors regular

For me, the 15" is perfectly portable. I take it with me everywhere necessary...work, friends, around the apartment, you name it...

I never found it to be clumsy or too big. The screen estate (especially with the HR screen) is well worth the extra pounds.

Bu that must not be the same for you. So, like above, go to a store and try it out yourself!

5. imotionb18 macrumors member

I suppose it would depend on what your using it for. 13 inch is perfect for me.

6. ssn637 macrumors 6502

I prefer the portability of the 13" model, but need an external monitor when at home to make up for the smaller display. If you can wait til February 2012, rumor has it that the MacBook Air 15" will be introduced then.

7. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

It fits perfectly well in every shoulderbag, backpack I own. It is no thicker than the 13" and thus doesn't take anymore space. Weight is also a no issue for me.

But I am a tall guy I guess some girl would think differently. It also depends on the bags if you carry around a bag that can only fit a 13" it is different. Mine is normal size but I know there are smaller ones. Usually carried by girls though.

8. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

I dont have any issues taking my 15 with me anywhere

9. Akack macrumors 6502a

Ya the 15" MBP is portable and have no problems taking it on trips.

Is it as portable as the 13".......no, but the 15" is portable.

10. bill-p macrumors 65832

I actually find the 13" too small. Have owned a 13" Pro and a 13" Air, and now I'm with a 15" Pro... and I can't really see myself using a smaller machine again.

In terms of weight, I actually don't really feel a difference carrying a 15" Pro vs a 13" Air in the same bag. Probably my other stuffs weighing down, but there's honestly no difference.

11. xDC macrumors member

I have a 15inch pro and a 13 inch air, they both get carried in my bag, I don't even feel the difference. I always have books with me. I wouldn't see a big difference in between the 15 and 13 pro.

12. MJL macrumors 6502a

For all day computing I would not want anything smaller than 15" (had some Toshiba 11.5" Portege's around 1999-2000) A small screen will tier your eyes more (now that my eyes are starting to go downhill -age- I cannot work on anything smaller than a 21.5 ") and you'll need to be kind on your eyes since they have to last a lifetime. Computer screens are pretty harsh on your eyes.

(it is the same as your ears with playing too loud music on your portable MP3 player, many under 30's have severe hearing problems and they do not notice until too late and irreversible)

Any other considerations are only secondary.

13. tktaylor1 macrumors 6502a

tktaylor1

A 15" is just as portable as a 13"

I've had both.

They both fit in a backpack, or a messenger.

14. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

If you have to ask... it's probably too big.

15. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Subjective matter. If you want to know what you think about it then check out the options in person. Polling others only tells you what they think, not what you think.

16. Wattser93 macrumors regular

It really depends on usage. My mom has a 17" MBP, and I have a 13" MBP.

For browsing the internet, watching movies in the car, and general typing, I find the 17" to be cumbersome.

For working with Excel, Photoshop, Illustrator, Sketchup, and any other productivity software, I find the 13" to be too small.

I think that the 15" with the HR AG is the nearly perfect compromise. After using all 3 side by side, the HR AG 15" is nearly perfect for my usage as an engineering student that likes to dabble in graphic work in my free time.

I would wait though for the rumored refresh. A 15" MBA is rumored and that could be the computer you're looking for.

17. bvanlieu macrumors member

That's what she said.

I travel quite a bit, and schlep through airports across the US. I have a large backpack that fits a 17" (originally a G4), along with all the accessories needed for travel.

G4 17 is large.

MBP 17 is nice to use but overkill for what I do. Its perfectly portable with my bag.

15" MBP is fine for me as its the right resolution for what I need.

13" MB is lighter, and easier to take in and out but for me personally the screen resolution is sub-standard.

13" Air has better resolution and excellent weight, but for my needs 4G RAM doesn't cut it so no air.

As you can see from this and other replies: your use should really drive the product. They all are portable. Is it nice having a slightly lighter backpack? Of course it is and if I was hiking 2-3 miles a day with it I would have an air most likely. However I am not: I work with it and port it to where I work.

- b