How Portable is a Mac Mini?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by MetzoPaino, Oct 31, 2012.

1. MetzoPaino macrumors member

Thinking of going Mac Mini because I spend my weeks swapping between my parents house and my girlfriends apartment.

Therefore I could have monitors at both and just carry the Mac Mini around.

How durable is a Mac Mini for such regular travel? I'd obviously wrap it in a thick jumper or something when it is in my rucksack, but it still isn't a laptop.

2. useme2305 macrumors member

extremely portable. just enjoy taking it everywhere you want where there's a screen. it's basically a macbook pro in a different casing without the screen...so i'd say there's even less of a risk of damaging anything than with a MBP.

3. quickbrownfox macrumors newbie

Yes, if you can leave a monitor, keyboard and mouse at both locations, the Mini is a very portable and convenient way of using the same Mac in two locations. You don't even need to take the power cable with you – just get another standard 'figure of eight' cable for a couple of quid.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Without the screen and integrated keyboard and touchpad - more stuff to lug around

5. CausticPuppy macrumors 65816

I'd say it's even more durable than a laptop, because there's no screen to break. It's basically a brick of aluminum. Mainly just watch out for sudden, severe temperature changes (i.e. don't leave it in your car in the freezing cold, bring it inside, and turn it on).

Keep keyboard/mouse/monitor/power at both places and you'll be set.

6. quickbrownfox macrumors newbie

That's why you leave those at each location you use. If you don't have regular work locations then a laptop obviously makes more sense.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've seen pictures of people lugging an iMac to starbucks :eek: so I'd say a mini is more portable then that

8. Paulywauly macrumors 6502a

Paulywauly

As already said, its basically laptop components in a sturdy aluminium box. It should be durable enough for a ruck sack although covering it in something will protect it from too much wear.

If you don't have a keyboard and mouse though it may be worth checking out the base model Macbook Pro. Its basically the same spec as the base model Mini but has built in battery, trackpad, illuminated keyboard and screen.

9. MetzoPaino thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the advice.

If I was moving location every other day I would get a laptop, but because it's only once or twice every two weeks a Mac Mini seems usable.

(I would be getting a maxed mid mini for audio work, or an iMac for much more. The mini being portable-ish may tip it in its favour).

10. blanka macrumors 68000

And the mini still has firewire, much needed for audio interfaces.

11. Micky Do macrumors 68000

Micky Do

I went for the Mini because it is easily transportable, but I didn't want a portable.

12. tablatom macrumors member

When my work sends me to a place with out a HDMI tv or monitor i'll by one of these.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgFDkMeUJDY

13. DisMyMac macrumors 65816

DisMyMac

11" MBA: 2.38 pounds (1.08 kg)
    13" MBA: 2.96 pounds (1.35 kg)
    mini: 2.7 pounds (1.22 kg)
    mini server: 2.9 pounds (1.3 kg)

14. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

*Yawn* let me know when someone brings a mac pro to Starbucks:D. Perhaps they could wheel it in on a capture cart.