How portable is the 15" MBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nahsor, Jun 25, 2009.

1. nahsor macrumors member

I am a college student and am looking to buy one of the new MBPs. I would like the 15" one but I don't know if it going to be very portable. And so I am leaning towards the 13" one. The main thing is that I like to watch movies and that is the only thing that will be better on the 15". I know most of you will say buy the 13" and then get a monitor but I don't like to sit on a computer chair and watch movies :D (I prefer my bed). However, #1 priority is portability so if the 15" is too much to lug around, I wouldn't mind settling for the 13". People who own 15" and 13" (and hopefully those who have owned both) want to chime in with their opinions?

2. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

The weight difference is only a pound. It matters if the dimensions are going to be a problem for you. My guess is that if you can haul around the 13, you can the 15.

3. supermac1 macrumors regular

I first owned a 13, now own a 15. I plan to get a 13 next because it is more portable and cheaper. I will hook up to an external display for video editing, but for watching a movie, I don't think the 13 is all that bad at all.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I don't own both, I own a 15" and my sister owns a 13". While the 13" is undoubtedly more portable, I've never been in a situation where I've thought "Gee, this computer is just too bulky for me to transport to and fro work every day...".

5. smartalic34 macrumors 6502a

smartalic34

I'm also in the situation where I have a 15" (original core duo MBP) and my sister just got a new 13" MBP.

I would personally go with the 13"... the reason I didnt when I bought mine 3 years ago was that I wanted the aluminum shell, backlit keyboard, and a graphics card that meets my needs. however, I can get all of that in the 13" now (the 9400M would be sufficient). 14" really is the sweet spot... mine is just a tad large and hers is just a tad small... but again, it's the dimensions. my 15" barely fits on some desks in my college's classrooms

6. DFTU101 macrumors member

15 in vs 13 inch

I have owned both (still do). For me I had always carried around the 15 inch but got a 13 inch MB a year or so ago. I find the weight difference and the dimensions (more a a pain to pull out and put away) all the time significant. If I were going to work and just left the laptop in one place all day, I'd be fine with the 15 inch. If I were carrying it around in a bookbag all day, pulling in and out, getting on planes a fair amount, I would definitely recommend the 13 inch. Sounds like you'd be better off with the 13 inch MBP and an external monitor at home if you needed a bigger screen. I find the 13 inch more than adequate for web surfing, emailing, watching movies, low end games (WOW works fine).

7. nahsor thread starter macrumors member

I didn't really think about dimensions. I think I am going to head to the apple store and check them both out. Can't wait to switch over and get my first mac :D

Thanks for all the replies!

Oh and c'mon guys (some of you)! You guys need to read my first post better before suggesting the external monitors :)

8. NeverhadaPC macrumors 6502

NeverhadaPC

yep. 15" is portable and great for movies.

The 13" is portable but then you might as well be watching the movie on your iPod Touch that comes with your computer :)

I would say 15" = portable + power

9. supermac1 macrumors regular

You said you wanted to watch movies on your bed, you didn't say an external monitor was out of the question for other things.

10. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

The 15" is pretty portable, but the glory of it is the excellent screen. I have one and love it, - it's an excellent computer, but most of the time, it sits on my desk.

The portability question does become an issue for some people if the question is whether to purchase the 15" or the 17" MBP, where the weight difference and size of the 17" is apparent when carried. However, when discussing a trade off between screen, power and portability, the 15" MBP to my mind is the best choice. Nevertheless, if portability is the key issue for you, choose the 13" MBP, or consider the MBA which was designed for those for whom portability is the key consideration.

Cheers and good luck