How portable is the 15" rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tawfiqmp, Dec 18, 2014.

1. tawfiqmp macrumors member

tawfiqmp

Just curious for 15" rMBP owners, how portable is this thing? I'm looking to upgrade from a 2009 13" MBP, and I'm really big on portability. The reason I'm considering getting the 15" is more about the processing power & graphics than about the actual size. I know the 13" is obviously more portable, but is there a huge difference in portability between the two? The price difference would be $230 between getting a new 2014 13" rMBP and a refurbished 2014 15" rMBP.

2. mcarling macrumors 65816

A 15" rMBP weighs about 1% less than your 2009 13" MBP.

3. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

There isnt a huge difference between your 13" cMBP and the 15" rMBP - if that helps you make the decision.

4. tawfiqmp thread starter macrumors member

tawfiqmp

Ah, that is true. Never looked to actually compare it to my current MBP. Thanks!

5. Mikael H macrumors 6502

Compared to other corporate class 15" laptops, I'd say it's definitely in the more portable part of the spectrum. But generally speaking: If this is a concern at all, purchase a bag you can wear comfortably.

6. tawfiqmp thread starter macrumors member

tawfiqmp

Gotcha, thanks for the suggestion!

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My rMPB is very portable, its lighter and easier to carrier then the tanks I used to get from work :) I think its very portable.

8. maratus macrumors 6502a

maratus

13.3" footprint is noticeably smaller. But the footprint is your screen. Weight difference isn't significant imo.

If you want to carry your laptop, get a 13".
    If you want to use your laptop, get a 15".

9. Nabooly macrumors 6502a

Nabooly

My Mid-14 15" is a feather compared to my late 2008 15". So much thinner and lighter. Go to an Apple store and check it out, maybe even take your 2009 mbp with you to see the difference.

10. notrack macrumors 6502

I have the current 15" coming from the late 2008 13". I went for it because of the processing power. It's thin but still heavy and pretty big when travelling. I'd prefer 13". Also, don't forget that the power supply thing is larger and heavier, too.

11. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

How does one so nicely say that, unless you're a wuss, it's very portable.

12. mcarling macrumors 65816

When I travel by air, I use a 45W MacBook Air power adaptor with my 15" MacBook Pro. It works fine. It can charge while I'm using it, though not as fast as the 85W power adaptor.

13. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

By weight no, by footprint yes, I travel internationally frequently and have just opted for a high-end 13" Retina specifically for increased portability. difficult to describe but sometimes the footprint of the 15" is a "drag" it wont fit in the majority of hotel safes, it limits the size of bags you can use, more difficult to deal with on the aircraft, same as when you have a confined work area the 15`s footprint can be harder to deal with sometimes.

All not a major deal, but as I have primary & secondary systems its nice now to have a choice. The 13 & 15 Retina`s are great portables either ways.

Q-6

14. KarmaRocket macrumors member

KarmaRocket

I've found the 15" rMBP to be quite light compared to my previous 15" MBP. However, I still feel like it is too big and cumbersome for trips. Even ones where i'm just traveling short distances. As someone else mentioned, it's not so much the weight, but the footprint. It's too wide. I love the screen, but I would prefer to have something smaller.

I used to do a lot of video editing and web design, but I find my needs changed when I focused more on writing and iOS/Mac programming. I feel the 13" rMBP will be fine. Even the 13" MBA might do the trick as well. I just need occasional video editing from time to time and both 13" rMBP's and MBA's should suffice.

I'm eagerly waiting to see what happens with the MBA update and if they get retina screens. However, I'm probably going to get the 13" rMBP since I like having a little extra power over battery life.

15. Freyqq macrumors 68040

15" rmbp weighs less than the 12" powerbook I use to own. It's very light considering the power it has, but the footprint is that of a 15" laptop.

16. JHUFrank macrumors 6502a

JHUFrank

Ugh, well I guess this means I just need to throw my 13 away because I can't use it. :rolleyes:

Silly info. Personally I looked really hard at both. I do a lot of work in odd network closets and having a smaller laptop that fits on the top of ladders is a big deal for me. I love the 13 footprint. If I really need a huge screen, I would rather plug into my 27 inch Samsung monitor than diddle with the 15 inch screen.

17. tawfiqmp thread starter macrumors member

tawfiqmp

I guess I can deal with the footprint of the 15". Seems like for the most part, it wont be a problem for me. As long as I can use it on my lap on the go, that's all that matters to me. I usually use my iPad on flights, so it's not really a concern whether or not I can fit it on a tray table. Since weight, which was my main concern, isn't really an issue, I think I'm satisfied with the rest of the "sacrifices" in portability.

Before I make my purchase, I'll definitely go to the Apple Store to check both out in person to make sure it's something I can deal with.

Thanks for all the help guys!

18. someoneoutthere macrumors regular

I have used my 15" rMBP during a good number of U.S. and international flights; and I haven't had any space issues. The only thing you might want to consider is, if the person sitting right in front of you decides to lean all the way back, there is no freaking way for you to put that laptop on the tray table and work from there; you will have to put your laptop back into your case/bag/etc. You're either looking at an iPad or maybe an 11" MBA to serve you better if you find yourself in a situation like that.

19. MikeVera macrumors member

I have had both the retina MBP 13 and 15, as well as the 13 inch Macbook Air.

The 15 is by far my favorite. So many bags and cases accommodate it, and its still very portable.

To me the processing power increase (quad core, as well as iris pro) and the larger amount of standard memory was worth it.

Love this machine!

20. badger91 macrumors regular

I have a late 2008 13" MacBook Pro that I replaced with a 15" rMBP around thanksgiving time. I originally got a 13" but found a screaming deal on the 15" so I exchanged it.

I take mine to class with me every day and It fits perfectly in my backpack just like the 13" did. After a few weeks of use there's no way I could go back to the 13.

21. maratus macrumors 6502a

maratus

someoneoutthere made a good point about portability: an 11" MBA is the one that truly differentiates itself from a 15.4" rMBP in both weight (1kg vs. 2kg) and footprint. Recent models excel in battery life too. I like the flexibility that owning 2 different laptops gives – if I need it "just in case", I'd rather take an MBA with a small shoulder bag. On the other hand, iPad functionality improves over time and I'm no longer sure if MBA is really necessary.