Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
And has anyone used one of those airplane adapters to power one?

I bought the Kensington Universal Car/Air Adapter for Apple PB or iB. It lets me plug my PB 17" into my car lighter or any Empower-equipped airline seat. Works like a charm and it's silver color matches the AL PB very well - however - I have only been on one flight out of 4 that has had Empower in coach and that was a United flight back from Sweden - the product packaging says you may want to check with the airline's Empower availability before traveling. The Kensington unit also costs $79.00 at the Apple store - you may be able to find it cheaper elsewhere.

Also, if you're traveling overseas I highly suggest getting a power transformer - not just the adaptors - the transformer converts EU power to the PB's native voltage - much safer than just the adaptors. Sure, the transformer adds a few extra pounds to your bag (mine is 1.25 lbs) but it is MUCH safer than just plugging in directly. After frying a $500 digital camera in Holland I will never travel without a transformer.

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
Aren't the PBs dual voltage?

Yes, you are correct - in fact the PBs are "auto-switching" according to:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75099

I guess I should have been more specific regarding the transformer - after having my camera destroyed by a crappy adapter I talked to a friend of mine who is an electrical engineer. His claim is that while computers may have native voltage switching that does not guarantee the quality of the source wiring and plugging in directly with an adapter should be avoided at all costs. Believe me - I've stayed in places in Europe and Asia where the wiring is older than most buildings in the US - places where I've literally see light switches catch fire - and it's in these instances that I am happy to have my transformer. The transformer switches the native power - taking that burden of the PB and also acts as a surge protector. I've been so scarred in the past that I plug in a surge protector into that as well. the inverter is worth the $30. I paid for it - piece of mind in countries where early 1900s cloth wiring rules the land.

Piece of mind or fried components - choose wisely.

jonsharp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2002
Nashville, TN
I put down the cash for the 17"!

Thank you to everyone who responded to my post! It was enough to push me over the edge. I ordered a 1.33Ghz 17" PB G4 Refurb from the Apple Store w/ Applecare and iLife '04. Can't wait till it gets here! Thanks again to everyone for their advice!
Jon

krisjon

macrumors regular
Feb 29, 2004
San Diego, CA
jonsharp said:
Thank you to everyone who responded to my post! It was enough to push me over the edge. I ordered a 1.33Ghz 17" PB G4 Refurb from the Apple Store w/ Applecare and iLife '04. Can't wait till it gets here! Thanks again to everyone for their advice!
Jon

Sweet, man. Enjoy it and welcome to the big boy's club.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
jonsharp said:
Jon

Will you name it LapZilla for me? Please oh please oh please?

It may still be portable, but that thing is huge.

concept

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2004
Silicon Valley
Thanks for all of your input from me as well! I'm still a Windows guy, but am itching to switch, and the 15" vs 17" debate has been going in my head for months.

I've decided on the 17" because it will literally replace my desktop PC. I have a 17" LCD that has a built-in TV tuner, and I use the machine in my room as a stand-in TV and for watching DVDs and such as well. (I'm cramped on space as it is.) My new G4 17" will replace the whole PC and LCD combo, so those extra two inches will help with the widescreen movies!

If I ever carry it around the apartment (10% of the time), that size is no big deal to me. And if I ever cart this baby outside my protected walls (maybe 5%), I will have it in a backpack (haven't decided which one yet) and the extra two pounds of weight will "disappear" anyhow.

Will keep you all posted after I get it (to see how close / far off I was in my expectations for portability).

I do have one question, though. I've heard that the width of the 17" version is too wide for the coach passenger seats on plane flights. I was told that it encroaches on your neighbours' areas a little bit. Anyone have any confirmations / denials to this claim?

Thanks!

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
I have no problems carrying around the 17" PowerBook. And this is coming from a 12" iBook G4 prior to the 17" PB. I think your main concern would be the case you choose to carry it in while you travel. Do not settle for anything less than what you think will be perfect.

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
concept said:
I do have one question, though. I've heard that the width of the 17" version is too wide for the coach passenger seats on plane flights. I was told that it encroaches on your neighbours' areas a little bit. Anyone have any confirmations / denials to this claim?

Thanks!

I flew with mine the day after I got it and this was not an issue. Not even close. Though if the tray on the seat in front of you does not slide towards you at all you may not be able to open the PB all the way....so you might need to keep it in your lap if this is the case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.