How powerful is the Apple Watch?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by EdisEdward, Mar 30, 2015.

1. EdisEdward macrumors 6502

Has Apple releases any information as to how powerful the S1 is as compared to other smart watches or even other smartphones? I read it may be as powerful as the iPhone 4s?

2. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

Comparable performance to A5 processor so similar to iPad 2, iPad mini and iPhone 4S.

3. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

That is pretty good power. We really do not need the watch to do heavy processing. It should be efficient and low power consumption plus efficiently drive that display and communications.

4. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

Right now most apps are running on your phone, not the watch, so the watch power doesn't mean much. People who have been hands-on says the interface feels snappy, for most uses that's all that's important.

5. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

I hope most things stay pretty native on the watch. The last thing I want is some application I loaded using too much background process making it laggy.

6. EdisEdward thread starter macrumors 6502

given the reviews that are out, i guess that is not really true. the A5 was pretty fast back in the day, and can still stand on its own.... most people are saying the apple watch is too slow

7. Flow39 macrumors 68000

Flow39

Seemed fast to me, but if it turns out to be slow, give it a software update and many kinks will be worked out. :)

8. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

It is true. For the most part, the Watch interface should be fluid and fast.

But, the way that the 3rd party Watch apps work right now is that if you click a user interface button on the watch, the watch has to send, via bluetooth, a notification to the iPhone that the button was clicked, the iPhone then runs that specific code, and then again, via bluetooth, tells the Watch what to display.

So the delay is purely with bluetooth. The current limitations of WatchKit is that no 3rd party Watch app can run code on the Watch itself.

So Apple apps feel fast and fluid, 3rd party ones, not so much. In time, this will get better as Apple allows native Watch apps to be developed, probably during WWDC this year.

The A5 is fast, and for a Watch, it's insanely fast. I imagine Apple underclocked it, but don't assume the Watch is slow because the way Apple limited the 3rd party apps.

9. sahilpatel12 macrumors 6502a

sahilpatel12

its powerful as boeing 787 dreaminer... it just feels like a dream when snap it on and use it ....:D [​IMG]