How powerful is the new mbp 13?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dtp8513, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Dtp8513 macrumors regular

My 15 in hd antiglare is arriving tomorrow. After reading some negative posts about the high Res antiglare, I'm considering a return. How is the 13? I dont do much gaming( aside from football manager).. I originally loved the hr glossy but I was convinced out of it by reading the forums... I plan on doing some recreational photo editing, but otherwise not much else high tech.

Help!!

2. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

2011 13" is comparable to 2010 17" speed wise

3. baxnet macrumors member

baxnet

TBH I don't see where all the hate for the HR AG is coming from. I've got one and I love it.

If you really aren't going to use the hardware, there's no problem at all with the 13". My girlfriend has a 2010 13" and it works perfectly for everyday apps. You wouldn't have a problem with light photo editing.

Overall, it's up to you. Do you think you spent too much for a bigger screen/more powerful computer that won't be used? If so, sure, get a 13" instead.

4. Dtp8513 thread starter macrumors regular

I plan on getting into Photoshop, but not much else...( to pair with an slr I bought).. I'm just having second thoughts as my original preference was hr glossy...

5. baxnet macrumors member

baxnet

There's a 14 day return policy. Play around with it for a few days. If you don't like it, exchange it for a glossy.

Like I said though, the AG hasn't done me wrong...

6. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

CPU wise, yes the i7 2011 was pretty amazing when I had it. But other than that and the portability factor, I'd much rather have the higher resolution screen and discrete gfx.

Also OP, don't get hyped up yet on the bad things you're hearing about the AG screen, you haven't even looked at your machine! I went to an apple store and played with an AG for a good hour or so and got very comfortable with the resolution. Having some fun in iMovie will be great with that resolution.

7. AppleGoat macrumors 6502a

Yeah, and you don't have to worry about any restocking fee. When I took delivery of the my baseline 13-inch '11, I had cold feet. After all, my 13-inch '10 was and is still great. So I called Apple to confirm my return options, they are shrewd folk, emphasized that I had 14 days to play around with it, now I don't want to return it. You very well may become enamored of your 15-inch once you open it. As for the 2011 13", it's a solid machine. 13" MBP is the perfect compromise between performance and portability. Runs warmer than its predecessor but that comes with discernable speed gains.

8. Dtp8513 thread starter macrumors regular

thanks... i think the freakout was premature.. it arrives in 2 days so ill see... can you return the computer to an apple store or do you have to mail it back if it was custom?

9. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

Not sure what football manager you are using, I haven't played in a while but from what I remember of the EA versions, they are quite CPU intensive and eat up RAM because of all the simulations running in the background.

When you say recreational editing, how serious are you? I find the printed output, appearance on the rear LCD of my SLR and appearance on a matte screen to be roughly similar but a glossy screen, while striking, is waay off. It's all relative of course so this is just one more reason to look at it in person.