iPad How productive are you on an iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iPadDad, Sep 28, 2014.

1. iPadDad macrumors 6502

iPadDad

How productive are you on an iPad? - if you use your iPad for an impressive amount of work I.e very productive, tell us how product you are, what do you do on the iPad.

I think allot of people will be shocked at how productive one can be on an iPad!

I replaced my laptop with my iPad (2 years ago!!) so that should say it all.

Most of my time goes into;

• Creating email adverts, product flyers, business letters
    • Tabulating information into , charts, spread sheets etc
    • Creating complex Presentations from scratch and presenting them via iPad
    • Taking detailed notes with clients

If you are very productive with your iPad what are you using it for?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I do some excel work on the iPad, emails and word documents. Generally though I much prefer a laptop over the iPad to create content. My iPad is really used for content consumption, i.e., movies, books etc.

3. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Me too. I do use it to track and update some personal spreadsheets and documents. But, any heavy lifting gets done with the MacBook Pro. The iPad can be a productive device, no question. But, there are limits. ;)

4. nightlong macrumors 6502a

nightlong

I still use an iMac and a laptop but my 2 iPads are what I use most. For so many things including writing, research, music apps. Skype and Messages are my main communication apps with friends, family, colleagues, and nearly always on the iPads.

One has LTE and goes everywhere with me, both have keyboards (zagg keyspro on iPad 4, Logitech on iPad Air) and smart covers when not using keyboards.

They are wonderful notebooks in which I can sketch out ideas with handwriting, drawing, typing, dictation, and music. I use Dropbox, iCloud and Google drive, and can pick things up there to then work on my Mac and MBPr.

I just wish they had USB ports, I'd prefer to use a USB flash drive rather than cloud.

5. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

Both the iPad and iPhone has made me immensely more productive...and that's a double-sided sword.

Due to my own lack of self discipline, they have extended my work day considerably. I answer emails, review documents, make/take calls, and I often find myself in my home office remoting in to take care of something more sophisticated.

It also gives me peace of mind and more mobility in and out of the office. I can track production issues, and respond more quickly to problems as well and help and receive help from collegues.

The iPad and iPhone (and really it's not just Apple products, it's any enterprise device) is forcing me to develop new skills to balance work with my home life.

6. Totally macrumors 6502a

Totally

7. FatPuppy macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

I am gonna be honest, my productivity level while using my ipad is going down faster than the Titanic.

8. kazmac macrumors 603

kazmac

My productivity pretty limited and likely will remain so.

Some notes for stories. I was able to sort of use my school app on the Retina Mini I recently sold (reading posts, not responding or creating documents.)

Otherwise, emails, web surfing, but mostly for watching movies and reading comics.

So not much productivity here, it bugged me for a long while, but I have finally accepted an iPad is fine portable entertainment and a smidgen of productivity. This naysayer is eating her words.

I think it's great some folks get so much productivity use out of their iPads.

9. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I work with Pages on my iPad Air to update resumes and cover letter then attach them to email. Also used Keynote to create vlog for YouTube. iMovie for YouTube.
    this is only when I am away from my rMBP. :apple:

10. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

I'm the 2nd AD for a company that specializes in FX/Stunt filming. As a 2nd AD I'm the one that is in charge of writing and distributing call sheets, making sure we have all appropriate work forms like time cards and tax forms. I am also the one that communicates with all crew and even cast about such things as well as contacting the casting companies if we are in charge of getting the background, supervising the background, supervising PAs etc.

I'm also the one that is responsible for making sure that the talent is where they should be, when they should be, we have proper security etc.

So what do I use. Email, Pages, and so on. And yes I could do it all on a computer but its a lot easier to use an iPad because I am constantly running around sets doing this and that. I actually have a Scottevest jacket that I use on set rather nicely.

In general we also use our iPads for displaying videos that lay out what we are about to shut, as a camera for tracking set photos, costume photos etc for continuity. We use several programs for shot notes etc as well.

11. Traverse macrumors 604

Traverse

Well, I'm struggling about whether I'll get a new iPad or just use my iPad 3 until it dies and live with the 4.7" iPhone.

But I do use it productively. The Logitech ultra thin keyboard over is nice and I use this combo to take notes in class. I use Office and Procreate. I have a 15" rMBP, but that isn't really that portable from class to class and seems more delicate. Really, my MacBook is my desktop, iPad my portable computer, and iPhone my phone and another portable computer.

12. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

I do zero work on my iPad. It's for leisure only!

13. Saturn1217 macrumors 6502a

I'd like to think I am reasonably productive on my ipad. But I'm most preductive when I'm using the iPad as a replacement for paper. I get a little frustrated trying to use the iPad to do laptop tasks (even with a bluetooth keyboard)

Productivity tasks that work well:
    -reading textbooks/reference books. I've started teaching myself programming and having my reference books all in one place is amazing.
    -reading and annotating scientific articles (pdfs)
    -marking up drafts. When i was editing my thesis this was amazing! NOT having to print out multiple drafts of a ~200pg document was a life saver!
    -storing notes in evernote - I take notes about everything so its nice to be able to view it on the ipad (although evernotes on the ipad isn't quite as nice as on the desktop)

I think as much as I would love the ipad to magically be able to do everything my laptop can without any loss in ease of use, realistically the iPad should keep improving as a replacement for paper. This is where it shines from a productivity standpoint and I personally am more productive with both an ipad and a macbook air than I would be with only one.

14. MagicHAM macrumors regular

MagicHAM

I am 20% productive on the iPad, as i am normally on my MacBook or on my Windows machine.

But for productivity -

- Update budget measures and update policy documents.
    - Spreadsheet contact updates
    - Email Tech Support (i'm the tech guru in the volunteer organisation i am currently volunteering)
    - Story updates (small updates, linked to One Drive, as I use Word on the iPad, then fully do chapters on the MacBook or Windows machine at home).

Rest of the time on the iPad it's either reading ebooks, browsing websites, listening to music or watching tv shows/movies purchases from iTunes Store.

It's amazing what people can do with the iPad. Its limitless :)