How productive are you?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Nobita, Oct 12, 2010.

1. Nobita macrumors 6502

In an hour of work (assuming you have a desk job and work full time, not including lunch time and commuting time), how much of it do you actually spend to do your real job? How much of it do you use to go to macrumors, tuaw, other apple blogs, itunes, youtube, facebook and so on?

Sometimes when my brain doesn't work I just step out and listen to music or play games in my iphone, but on a serious day I think spend around 10-15 minutes every hour to check my rss and facebook. But of course that depends on the situation, I don't do it during meetings, or when I'm doing some critical or important task. Do you guys think it's too much?

What do you do to increase your productivity?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It depends on the day and the tasks at hand. I maintain servers and on some days the servers, environments are running smoothly so I'm not "busy" in the truest sense.

On other days I'm busy for 18 hours, and as I'm facing a major application upgrade that will take in excess of one year. My workload just increased exponentially so I'll be very busy and need to make the most of my time, i.e., being productive.

4. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

I'm not productive at all. I'm embarrassed about it as well.

5. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Usually near the level of the cosmic background radiation, ie: next to nil.

Frankly, I'm a crammer, and I do well enough (read: for the moment, I know it doesn't work so well in real work situations) at uni but I'm trying to break it.

6. Nobita thread starter macrumors 6502

Nice. I wonder if working overtime does actually count as productive. I always tell myself that if I stay after 6pm, then I probably wasn't being productive during the day... But I don't know.

7. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

When I'm on a roll with a steady workload, very. I tend to not work as fast when the workload lessons.

8. bloodredawful macrumors newbie

I maybe do 10, 15 minutes of work a day.

but by god I do it well.

9. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Well, if you're measuring solely by the number of minutes I spend doing my job, then I'm probably only on par with my coworkers. But, considering I work much faster and more efficiently than they do, I get a lot more done in the same amount of time. So, my productivity is either equal to my coworkers, or much higher, depending on how you measure it. :)

10. Disc Golfer macrumors 6502a

I work one day a week but on that day I accomplish everything I "need" to get done and earn more than I spend. The rest of my time is fairly unproductive.

11. Xavier macrumors 68020

I can be very productive when I am done procrastinating.

12. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

13. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

I work from home and I have sometimes great difficulties not to procrastinate...

14. nobunaga209 macrumors 6502a

nobunaga209

When I start a new project, I'm all over it and on beast mode. After resources are assigned, tasks delegated out, and all stakeholders have been appraised of status I go into coast mode. Rinse and repeat. :)

15. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

I'm pretty much terrible at getting myself motivated to do work. However once I start I find it hard to stop! I just keep going until the job is done, and then some. But seriously, I rarely ever get work done, because I never get around to starting it. It's not good - I need to figure out some sort of regime, soon.

16. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

I can work better without the distractions, but that isn't as easy when you're working on a computer :D

17. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

I have found that the sooner I fall behind, the more time I have to catch up.

18. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Us video guys spend our time "rendering." We then tell our bosses how much more productive we'd be if we had the latest and greatest Mac Pro.:)

19. Nobita thread starter macrumors 6502

So... Did your boss got you one? My colleague insist that if he buys an iPad he'll be more productive. He's a programmer so he really only use his iPad for reading and email. Because, you know... You can't do programming on an iPad...

20. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Nope. They have no idea the time it would save me and how it would improve the quality of my work. Oh well, more MR time while my ancient PC with an old, old version of Premiere grinds away.

21. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

How productive are you?

My boys have never said "Hi darling!!!" to an egg. :eek:

Why?? What have you heard?? :mad:

22. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

No little iJH's running around?

23. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Not that I am aware. Rejoice, and let the heralds sing.

24. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

Being ADHD doesn't help.

I have my awesome days and my terrible days in regards to productivity. The second seems more common, unfortunately. :(

25. ComputersaysNo macrumors 6502

ComputersaysNo

Everybody feels like working at Foxconn once in a while, don't we? :D