How prone is the Macbook to getting dents over time?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Suno, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Suno macrumors 6502

Suno

I'm deciding on whether or not to get a Speck case or opt for a hard-cover sleeve instead like this booq one and leave the Macbook pro naked.

I've heard mostly good things about the Speck case, but I've seen some few photos here in the forums about how the Speck case doesn't completely protect the laptop from dents and it even gives holes on the Macbook over time. The booq sleeve, on the other hand, is unknown to me.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Depends on how careless you are. Not really sure how you want to quantify "how prone it is to dents."

3. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

I'm going to have to go with this answer. I had a 2006 MacBook, and aside from me dropping it once (when I was trying to carry that, a glass of water, and a bowl of cereal), it would have never had any dents at all had it been an Aluminum MacBook.

Even then, there were no issues. I'm pretty quick with blocking dropped items with my foot. That'll happen working at a grocery store for 15 years.

4. Suno thread starter macrumors 6502

Suno

Well I'm asking because I've obviously never owned a Macbook before and the only other person I know who owns one has a pretty dented up Macbook, especially the underside. She's not a careless person and I know she's smart enough to take care of a $1,500+ machine.

5. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

I will say, when lounging around in my drawers with it on my lap, it seems to slide around a lot more than my polycarbonate MacBook. It's also a little more slippery when carrying it around, except for the Apple logo, which feels a bit sticky.

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I don't protect my MBP with anything more than a carrying sleeve. I've never gotten a dent in any of my portable electronics. YMMV.

7. Stetrain macrumors 68040

My three year old aluminum Macbook has never been in a case. I carry it around a lot in my backpack. I'm careful with it but I don't baby it. There are a few noticeable scratches on the bottom panel, and a couple of tiny nicks along the edge of the palm rest.

I'm sure it would dent if you dropped it or dropped something on it, but otherwise they're pretty durable.

8. eron macrumors 6502

List the 5 most expensive things you own. How often have you damaged them accidentally?

9. JasonH42 macrumors 6502

I have spent a lot of time in hotels over the past year and my MBP has been repeatedly whacked into the edges of laptop safes - not even a scratch on it.

10. soldierblue macrumors 6502

11. Geo411m macrumors regular

It's been my experience that they don't dent easily but they do scratch quickly which is why I got a Speck see thru case.

12. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I've owned numerous PBs and MBPs since Apple went to the metal housing. If you treat it with respect it will look like new two years later. If you toss it around like a pillow it will look like crap in a very short time.

Personally, I bristle when I see a MBP w/ a 3rd party cover. It just kills the natural beauty of the machine - not to mention adds needless weight.