How properly copy files to new user? (permission problem?)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by johannnn, Apr 18, 2014.

1. johannnn macrumors 6502a

johannnn

I created a new user on my mavericks computer. Both the new and old user are admins. I right-clicked on /Users/olduser and added write rights to the new user (along with all enclosed files). From the new user, I then copied a bunch of files from /Users/olduser to ~/newuser/. However, everytime I want to do something with these files Finder asks for my login and password.
    What did I do wrong? I guess its some permission problem that I dont understand.

Thanks!

2. I'm a ROb macrumors member

Are you comfortable with the terminal? The "chown" command will fix this.

3. johannnn thread starter macrumors 6502a

johannnn

Thanks for the reply.
    I googled on "chown mac new user" and found that the same can be done via Finder, if you right-click and "get info", then down to permission, you can choose "Make newuser to the owner".
    So I think I get it now. Even though I have write permission, Finder complains because I'm not the owner of the file, so I have to make my new user the owner of the old files.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Try this.. command-r boot to recovery then start Terminal from the Utilities menu. Now type in "resetpassword" (all one word and without the quotes).

[​IMG]

This screen will come up. Now select the new user account in the drop down at the top. Do not enter anything in the PW fields because we do not want to change that. Now click the Reset button at the bottom right and that should reset all the permissions in that account back to default and hopefully fix your issue.

5. chown33 macrumors 604

Try this:
    1. Login as olduser.
    2. Compress/archive all the files you want to transfer.
    3. Put the zip file into newuser's Public folder.
    4. Login as newuser.
    5. Decompress the zip file.

When the files are decompressed, the owner is set to whoever decompresses them. This happens no matter who created the zip file. So as long as the zip file is readable by all (the default), anyone can get the files, and ownership will be properly assigned.

6. johannnn thread starter macrumors 6502a

johannnn

nice trick!