how push email works

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by phonewentwest, Sep 18, 2008.

1. phonewentwest macrumors regular

pardon me if this is posted, snooped around and didn't see anything. if you know of a thread please point me to it...

i was curious how push worked on the iphone, particularly on the first iphone. is the phone constantly running on the data part of the network? i ask because on the original, data and voice can't run at the same time. so does that mean if i have push on, that i'm in jeopardy of missing or not receiving phone calls?

thanks

-pww

2. schatzie macrumors member

I don't think you need to worry about that. I never had the last model iPhone so I can't speak for it, but my last phone was a Nokia on T-Mobile, so it too couldn't do both data and voice at the same time. I always received my calls even when I was surfing the web. When a call comes it, it would "pause" the data connection to let you talk and then resume the data connection. It's not like if you're using data, then you're strictly on data. You would still receive voice mails and incoming call notifications and it temporarily disconnects the data connection.

So I believe it's the same with push email. You'd get the notification, and you can check your mail, but if you have incoming calls, it would switch and let you talk.