How quick is HDR?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by davehutch, Sep 17, 2010.

1. davehutch macrumors 6502a

davehutch

I haven't upgraded to 4.1 yet but wondered if anybody had conducted an experment to show how much time between shots there is when using HDR?
    It would give a good idea of how useful it is when the subject includes people for instance.

2. Lostanddamned macrumors 6502a

Lostanddamned

Its not that much slower than pre-4.0 photos were, its a good addition

3. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

It's not bad. The picture quality is excellent.

4. azhava macrumors regular

It's nearly instantaneous. However, some users have posted photos that show "ghosting" with moving subjects so there is obviously some lag, even if it's milliseconds.

5. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Yeah, it's not great for photos with any action in them - including people, unless they are posing for the shot. For other shots it's great, although processing the HDR shot means that it takes several seconds longer per photo than without. You won't be shooting rapid-fire with HDR.

6. androiphone macrumors 65816

watch for yourself http://youtu.be/Q7yW8fA8EGk?hd=1

7. davehutch thread starter macrumors 6502a

davehutch

Thanks, I saw that one already but it doesn't tell yoou how much time between images

8. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Well get out your stop watch and time it. From the video you can clearly see how long it takes. I counted about 4 seconds. Do you want down to the millisecond?

9. mzd macrumors 6502a

it is great for any still or posed shots. or maybe very slow movement. i took a picture of my gf petting an ox and there is some ghosting by her wrist and hand.

10. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

If only there was some type of status bar that showed the length of the video and how much time has elapsed in it.

11. androiphone macrumors 65816

you know it goes to the saving HDR photo and then it does a little animation (putting the photo in the gallery) you then have to wait half an hour (for the computer chips to recharge) then place the phone on your heart and say "all hail the mighty HDR that apple hath given us" then you are free to take another. :p

no the split second the viewfinder shows up you can take another almost as the save animation is happening so he takes the photo at 1.26 and the animation happens at 1.30 you can take a photo at 1.30

12. lush242000 macrumors member

lush242000

I figure it is about 3 times slower than a normal photo. But that is a beer-thirty estimate.