How quick to charge to 80%?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by daymouse, Sep 10, 2016.

1. daymouse macrumors regular

Currently got an iPhone 6 ordered the 7 and just find out that you can use a 12w charger to charge an iPhone a lot quicker.

I was already aware that they also charge full speed to 80% then trickle charge the rest.

I'm just wondering how much faster a 12w charger is juicing up to 80% as after that it will trickle charge.
    So in minutes how much are we talking?

2. menist macrumors regular

menist

I'm not sure how much watt the iPhone internal charging IC can handle, but the iPad charger definitely charges the iPhone faster than the 5w adapter. Did anyone ask Apple if this can be recommended?

3. now i see it macrumors 65816

Apple says it's ok to use the iPad charger to charge the iPhone. Yes it will charge it faster to 80%. Charging Li-ion batteries at a lower current though, using the 5W charger provided, will extend it's useful life. Rapid charging of all li-ion batteries is harder on the battery than using a lower current charger.

4. HEK Suspended

HEK

From 0% to 80% I have found that my 6s Plus will add one percent to the battery charge for every minute.

15 minutes will get you additional 15%

5. SumYoungGai macrumors 6502a

Battery size in mA times 0.80, divide that number by the charging speed in mA and you'll get hours. Times that by 60 to get minutes.

6. now i see it macrumors 65816

^^
    That method (may) only work for a new fresh battery. Old batteries charge faster but hold less charge because their capacity has diminished with age. They essentially become smaller batteries.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

[MOD NOTE]
    Lets stay on topic, the thread was getting derailed by the android talk. This thread is about the iPhone.