Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrCatMan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
UK
I have a MacBook with 2 gB of ram and about a 2.2 gHz intel processor.

On average running a film through

Mac the Ripper: takes about 25 mins
Handbrake takes about 40 mins

What sort of average speeds do you get?

MrCatMan

jcschlic

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2009
On my Macbook C2D @ 2ghz with 2gb of ram Handbrake encodes take about two hours on these settings:

Handbrake version 0.9.2 (I heard there were issues with 0.9.3 so I have not bothered to upgrade)
Apple TV preset
Two-pass encoding with turbo first pass
Keep aspect ratio: on
Deinterlace: on

Obviously it all depends on what movie you are ripping. Larger quality sources will take longer and lesser quality sources will go faster.

This setting seems to work the best for me. I hook it up via HDMI to my 42" Panasonic plasma and I could not be happier with the results.

This ongoing process of ripping my library is a big plus in the wife-factor arena as well...she can watch the movies quite easily.

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH
On my Macbook C2D @ 2ghz with 2gb of ram Handbrake encodes take about two hours on these settings:

Handbrake version 0.9.2 (I heard there were issues with 0.9.3 so I have not bothered to upgrade)
Apple TV preset
Two-pass encoding with turbo first pass
Keep aspect ratio: on
Deinterlace: on

Obviously it all depends on what movie you are ripping. Larger quality sources will take longer and lesser quality sources will go faster.

This setting seems to work the best for me. I hook it up via HDMI to my 42" Panasonic plasma and I could not be happier with the results.

This ongoing process of ripping my library is a big plus in the wife-factor arena as well...she can watch the movies quite easily.
I hope you aren't using deinterlace on sources that don't need it... if so you're hurting your encode speed and quality.

.9.3 includes the decomb filter which will only deinterlace when it detects it is necessary, but it sounds like you have your own reasons for not wanting to upgrade.

jcschlic

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2009
If upgrading to 0.9.3 is worth it and will save me time then I will go ahead and upgrade. It's just that when it was first released I read numerous postings of the application no longer working-period. Maybe that is no longer an issue...I should probably go ahead and just upgrade because your point of deinterlace on/off is obviously something to think about when going through this process.

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH
If upgrading to 0.9.3 is worth it and will save me time then I will go ahead and upgrade. It's just that when it was first released I read numerous postings of the application no longer working-period. Maybe that is no longer an issue...I should probably go ahead and just upgrade because your point of deinterlace on/off is obviously something to think about when going through this process.

Honestly, most of the problems were caused by people either not reading the release notes for .9.3, or not updating their presets via the menu bar.

TheZA

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2007
On 1.83 iMac C2D with 2 Gb RAM:

MTR 14m on standard 1.5 to 2 hour movie: about 17 minutes average; rarely over 20 minutes but that will happen if the disk is new and has a lot of mastering junk. Actually, I've had some older 1.5 hour movies rip in 10 minutes.

Handbrake 0.9.3 with newest VLC, last night I did a 2 hour movie from disk (not ripped with MTR first), to mp4 using Normal preset with two passes (first one turbo), decomb to default, detelecline on; about 3 hours. Those are typically the settings I use and it takes a little over 1.5 times the running length of the movie. If I use the Apple TV preset it is faster, but for my equipment, I've had excellent luck with the Normal present, decomb to default, detecline on, anamorphic to loose.

MrCatMan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
UK
I hope you aren't using deinterlace on sources that don't need it... if so you're hurting your encode speed and quality.

.9.3 includes the decomb filter which will only deinterlace when it detects it is necessary, but it sounds like you have your own reasons for not wanting to upgrade.

What does de-interlace do?

cantthinkofone

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2004
Missouri, USA
MTR V3 takes about 17-35 minutes.

Hand-break using the xbox360 preset, 2 pass encoding with turbo takes about 2 hours.

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    32.8 KB · Views: 62

dylanbrown

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2008
London
With my 2GHz Late 2007 MacBook with 4GB Ram, the latest HandBrake version and the preset set to iPod touch/iPhone it usually takes the length of the video to do its thing.

rWally

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2006
Denver, CO
I have a 2.33 GHz C2D white iMac with 2 GB of RAM.

Mine usually plugs along at around 20 fps for movies using the appleTV preset in .93 with CRF cranked up to 62%. Takes about 15% longer than the actual movie to finish an encode.

For TV shows I use the universal preset at 59% CRF with decomb on and that will usually slow down to around 14-17 fps.

I'm curious as to the speeds mac pro users are getting vs. the newest iMacs. I'm looking at upgrading my computer in the next year and would be interested in what speeds they're getting.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
My Dell XPS Studio (running 10.5.6, Core i7 920 2.66Ghz, 4 real cores, 4 logical cores) rips a full DVD in 20 to 40 minutes depending on length using the standard Apple TV preset (59% CRF). I get roughly 83 FPS on average, and I'm being very conservative with that number.

That's with a standard 7200RPM drive, and ripping directly from a DVD drive.

Obviously, features like decomb slow the FPS down. Additionally, if you rip the DVD to another hard drive first, it may speed up your encode time.

If you want to go all out, get a pair of velociraptor drives in a RAID array. :)

My MacBook Core 2 Duo 2Ghz takes roughly 2 1/2 hours to process the same film.

I have a feeling the next few years of Mac updates are going to game changers with regards to performance.

Attachments

• speed.jpg
    speed.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 71
  • 8 cores.jpg
    8 cores.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 63

Tastannin

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2003
UT
My MacPro averages around 20-30 min per movie right from DVD via Handbrake, using the Universal setting, and subtitles turned on. I have two optical drives, so I can put in two movies and set up them to queue, and come back in about a hour and repeat the process. Movies look great on my ATV.

I need to test pre-rips using MTR to see if it's worth the extra step so I can have the MacPro/Handbrake work all night uninterrupted on a huge queue.

rWally

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2006
Denver, CO
My MacPro averages around 20-30 min per movie right from DVD via Handbrake, using the Universal setting, and subtitles turned on. I have two optical drives, so I can put in two movies and set up them to queue, and come back in about a hour and repeat the process. Movies look great on my ATV.

I need to test pre-rips using MTR to see if it's worth the extra step so I can have the MacPro/Handbrake work all night uninterrupted on a huge queue.

I'd definitely recommend using MTR. It allows you to que up a large amount of files to encode and saves a lot of time. Handbrake isn't really meant to be used as a ripper anyway and support for it is pretty much non-existent (rightfully so). There are also a lot of newer movies out there that have pretty intense copy protections that make a dedicated ripper very valuable.

celica73

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2009
I'd definitely recommend using MTR. It allows you to que up a large amount of files to encode and saves a lot of time. Handbrake isn't really meant to be used as a ripper anyway and support for it is pretty much non-existent (rightfully so). There are also a lot of newer movies out there that have pretty intense copy protections that make a dedicated ripper very valuable.

Yes, it is worth it (especially on a slow machine).

I'll use MTR to rip one movie and start that in Handbrake. While Handbrake is working on movie #1 I will use MTR to rip several more (I'm on a MBP 2.4, and average about 20 fps ripping, not quite real time).

After ripping several movies, I put them all in the handbrake queue and pop one final disk in the computer and add that to the queue. In the morning they are all done. I can get through about 4 movies in an hour of time in front of the computer.

Scott

qwertyuiop7

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2009
My 1 ghz iBook G4 takes about 20 hours to Handbrake a film to aTV setting.:eek:

Glad to see i'm not alone, my 1.5ghz 12inch powerbook usually takes at least 24 hours for a 2hr film on Atv preset, and boy does is get hot when its doing it:)

Phil

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
wouldn't using MTR mean it's up to the DVD drive speed? I ask b/c when I use the older drive on my mac pro it's longer than when I use the newer drive - maybe 20 mins for the newer drive and 45 for the older one.

HB varies as well. i'm still playing with different quality settings vs speed.

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2 GHz 2GB RAM (late 2006), iPod Legacy preset:

14-20 FPS, depending on the movie and what I'm doing with the computer during encode.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
wouldn't using MTR mean it's up to the DVD drive speed? I ask b/c when I use the older drive on my mac pro it's longer than when I use the newer drive - maybe 20 mins for the newer drive and 45 for the older one.

Are both the of drives DVD burners? There is such a thing called rip-lock that prevents some DVD drives from reading DVDs at full speed. Generally, it's only on DVD burners.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riplock

All the Matshita slot-loading drives have rip-lock.

OP: You should have chosen a preset for our replies in this thread. It's hard to compare across multiple presets and settings.

franzmueller

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2007
Spain
Glad to see i'm not alone, my 1.5ghz 12inch powerbook usually takes at least 24 hours for a 2hr film on Atv preset, and boy does is get hot when its doing it:)

Phil

Yeah , thats crazy , I have a G4 1,2 GHz too and when I first time encoded a DVD with the new 2,4 GHz blackbook I could not believe it was done in less than an hour !:eek: ( iphone preset )

Saludos

pkoch1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2007
Boston
MTR takes about 15 minutes and Handbrake takes about 10-11, or 15-20 if I am doing two movies at a time

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.