how quickly do youtube videos load on edge?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by azngamer808, Feb 5, 2008.

1. azngamer808 macrumors member

i was just wondering how quickly youtube videos load on the edge network. is it fast enough that you don't have to pause the video at the start and wait for it to finish loading (so you don't have to deal with stopping every 10 seconds)?

2. Aries326 macrumors 6502

3. CJRhoades macrumors 6502

Remember that EDGE has a maximum speed of around 230Kb/s and most of the time it runs at about 1/2 that speed. It'll probably stop every 3 seconds...

4. myphone macrumors 6502

myphone

it's slow and grainy. You have to wait to be uploaded for videos, so you don't have to stop every 10 seconds.

5. azngamer808 thread starter macrumors member

how long would it takes to load a 5 minute clip? and when 3g does come out, how much more expensive would you all guess the data plan going to cost?

6. CJRhoades macrumors 6502

Takes me about 5-10 minutes depending on the quality of the video and my location.

Not exactly sure what you mean by 3G... Do you mean like HSDPA? Currently thats about $50-80 (US) per month.

7. azngamer808 thread starter macrumors member

um...idk, the other internet option that everyone seems to be waiting for the iphone 2 to be updated with

8. peterjeter26 macrumors member

not even that great quality when really does load,,poor poor poor

9. rayward macrumors 65816

When the signal is strong, it's ok to load a YouTube clip, but any snags in the download and the clip will catch up to the download if you're watching it. The picture quality is pretty rough though: they downgrade the picture quality when accessing through EDGE to speed up download times.

On WiFi, it's great! Fast and crystal clear.

10. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

I only use YouTube when i desperately want to, or someone wants to see how cool it is to have YouTube on your phone...but i don't like it because the quality is so bad to reduce file size = quicker load.

11. JohngPR macrumors newbie

The actual speed is pretty good for me, it takes about 2 minutes to DL a 4-5 minute clip but you can play what you've DL so far.

The bad thing is that the video quality is meh, but it still good for showing someone a quick video.