Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snowman1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
Hi everyone,
I was making a time-lapse of the sunset today, and unfortunately my iPhone 6 overheated in the process. I think it took me a minute to realize that it had overheated (I was doing something else while recording the time-lapse), but I immediately put it into the shade. Do you think that the battery is damaged at all? The phone was definitely hot. My previous iPhone 5 overheated for different reasons and the battery was okay, but I just wanted to have your guys' input.

myscrnnm

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA
The iPhone has sensors to detect when it's overheating. And those levels are definitely below what is required to cause catastrophic damage to the phone. As long as you don't let it happen too often, you'll be fine.

snowman1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
The iPhone has sensors to detect when it's overheating. And those levels are definitely below what is required to cause catastrophic damage to the phone. As long as you don't let it happen too often, you'll be fine.

Thanks for the consolation. Haha. Definitely won't be doing time-lapses in direct sunlight ever again...

eelw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
You also have to question people who want solar charging on future iPhones. Yeah let's just leave our phone out in the sun to bake to death.

But back to your question, a few minutes won't do permanent damage to the battery. If you left it there for hours or in your car on the dash, then yeah it will get fried.

MinEderPlayz

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2013
Hamburg, Germany
See screenshot below (source: Apple)
If you run into that message, you have exceeded the heat limit, otherwise, you're fine, unless you do it daily.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 447

snowman1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
See screenshot below (source: Apple)
If you run into that message, you have exceeded the heat limit, otherwise, you're fine, unless you do it daily.

Yeah, I saw that, and I immediately put it into the shade. I definitely don't plan on letting my phone heat up this much ever again! haha.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.