How quiet is the new 2TB Time Capsule?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by gakuran hitori, Jul 8, 2011.

1. gakuran hitori macrumors regular

gakuran hitori

Hello,

I am considering getting a 2TB Time Capsule to use as a media server for music. I have a 2TB G-TECH external hard drive right now for backups and it's rather loud. I can tolerate it as I only turn it on once or twice a day, but the Time Capsule would be on and spinning for most of the day. I realize there's also a fan in them, so for anyone that owns one can you tell me how audible it is? Can you hear it spinning or seeking from a few feet away? Is it louder than a Macbook Pro?

2. stefmesman macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; nl-nl) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Its not louder then a macbook pro. When accesing the disk it does make the fan spin up and you can hear it. You can also store it on an external fanless drive. And use the tc solely for backup if the fan bothers you. The fan only goes on when accesing the internal hdd

3. gakuran hitori thread starter macrumors regular

gakuran hitori

Yeah but I feel like a usb drive would be even slower and maybe I'd get some lag in itunes. If it's not louder than a macbook pro when spinning then I could easily tolerate it. My g-drive sounds kind of like a mini jet engine so it's very obnoxious when playing music.

4. urkel macrumors 68030

I keep mine behind the TV since that's where all my wired devices are nowadays. So obviously I can't hear it.

Are you planning on keeping your iTunes library on the internal 2TB? Because I got the new TC and that's what I did and I have some regrets.

- Disk Access on both internal and external drive is the same. I thought the internal would be faster. I get Roughly 10-13Mbps wireless N which is a bit slow but I'll be buying an Air so I have no choice

- Streaming to AppleTV through my current MBP works fine. There's a few seconds loading time but for the most part it keeps up. (I surenwish the iTunes Server was built in though because going from TC HDD -> MBP iTunes -> AppleTV seems like a waste.

- Data Transfer is ridiculous. Moving 1.2TB wired from my MBP external FW drive took about 14hrs because it runs on Ethernet. They should've put a FW or TB port on here for high speed data extraction in case it dies.

+ On a positive, TM does feel faster. Not nearly 75% as claimed but any speed improvement is nice since TM is ridiculously slow. Unfortunately, it's still too slow for me and I'm going to use a portable USB drive since I don't trust the TC. It runs awfully hot and the internal HDD isn't a very high quality drive to be put in that environment.

I'm considering an Airport Extreme + External 2TB. It gives more flexibility, has been reported to be faster and will save me $50.

5. gakuran hitori thread starter macrumors regular

gakuran hitori

Yeah, I wouldn't be using the time capsule at all for time machine. My idea was to keep all music files on the internal TC hard drive but keep the library file on my mbp. My computer will be the only one accessing this drive, I just want to be able to have access to it anywhere in the house. Since the itunes library would be stored on mbp's hard drive, I would just be reading data from the tc hard drive and only writing to it when I add new music.

So you're saying there's no difference in speed from an external hard drive hooked into a time capsule via usb and the time capsule's internal drive? Due to heat concerns I may consider airport extreme + external 2tb also.

6. stefmesman macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; nl-nl) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I get a transfer of 1gb/minute on the tc internal drive. More then enough i assume.

7. gakuran hitori thread starter macrumors regular

gakuran hitori

Yeah I think that would be fine for itunes. But I was mostly wondering how the speed of tc compares to airport + usb external hard drive