How quiet should the 27" iMac be running?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Libertine Lush, Dec 12, 2009.

1. Libertine Lush macrumors 6502a

Hi everyone,

How quiet should the new 27" iMac's be running? Mine is fairly quiet but not silent. I recall reading a review prior to buying that had said it runs silent, so I'd like to make sure I don't have a defective system. I can hearing a very slight persistent sound. It's so slight I don't know how to describe it accurately--sounds like it could be a bit like a buzzing or a rotating sound. Or perhaps it's just normal operational sound?

The HD will also make some sounds like it's reading something even when I'm not really doing anything. Is that normal?

Thank you.

2. BelowTheBelt macrumors regular

I can not hear mine running at all mate, unless I am stressing it to encode video; then the fans will kick in a little.

I have the i7 model and it's absolutely flawless & it sounds like your machine is one of the same.

Normal is a setting on a dishwasher mate ;-)

3. Libertine Lush thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. frenchie0101 macrumors 6502

might be worth reading the "27" iMac HDD noise" thread about your HDD

5. Libertine Lush thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. I took a look at the thread. I don't have that very clear ticking or grumbling sound most in there mention. Mine is barely audible. So it could just be normal.

6. gb1631 macrumors regular

My i7 is very quite! I never have heard a peep out of it! Of course, I am use to my noisy 17" FS iMac, which is noisy. ;)

7. PurrBall macrumors 6502a

PurrBall

It may just be that you have less room noise and therefore can hear the fans more.