How reception is breaking your glass

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by abnospam, Jun 30, 2010.

1. abnospam macrumors regular

abnospam

So, Apple's official word from their CEO is hold the phone differently. In an effort to do this, you have a less secure, less comfortable, less natural and less accustomed grip. Naturally, this results is a higher rate of dropping the phone coupled with the higher probably for glass breakage (now on both sides) which should all mean Apple should be replacing broken-glass iPhones, right?

or....

give free bumpers

2. BobHail macrumors 6502a

You really would settle for a Bumper in order to keep your BROKEN phone?

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you hold the phone in an unstable manner, why should apple pay for the repairing it?

While I think its ludicrous that apple should recommend change how you hold it, clearly they're not recommending a holding pattern that will increase the risk of dropping it.

If you're that concerned, spend the 30 bucks for the bumpers. I mean you spent a lot of $$ for the phone, why cheap out now.

4. BobHail macrumors 6502a

Don´t be a sucker and return your broken phone and demand a new working phone.

Is it really that hard?

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its hard because the issue is a design flaw, exchanging it will not solve the problem.

6. big0mar macrumors regular

Heres a very easy solution:

Drive to Apple store. Return iPhone for full refund. Take said refund and purchase different phone.

7. Walko83 macrumors member

I dunno my iPhone 4 seems to be working fine. Considering I'm using it now to type this in what used to be a dead zone in my basement....

8. abnospam thread starter macrumors regular

abnospam

The point is that as soon as Apple suggests holding it in an uncomfortable way, they need to assume some liability. They made this bed, now sleep in it.

9. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Scary, the thought process of some in our day and age of someone's always liable.

10. Sleazy E macrumors 65816

Sleazy E

if you don't like your phone simply return it. problem solved. if you want to keep it and you are one of the minority of people having problems, buy a bumper or case. its a very simple choice with two very simple answers.

11. UTclassof89 macrumors 6502

UTclassof89

Anybody who's watched Apple closely for a few years should know that when you buy a 1st generation model of an Apple product, you're not buying a finished product; you're paying to participate in a large user testing study.

Those of us who are patiently awaiting iPhone 4.5 appreciate your contributions.

12. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

I have to admit this....the oleophobic coating on the back is causing my iPhone 4 to slip off of surfaces where my 3G would sit perfectly fine. That thing is slippery!!!!

I've always gone naked, but now I'm having to consider cases. Makes me :(.

13. abnospam thread starter macrumors regular

abnospam

This is not an opinion or an American thing. When a company endorses an action that causes damage, they have a responsibility in that.

14. big0mar macrumors regular

No, they do not. There is absolutely no legal basis for the drivel you're spewing :apple:

15. tigress666 macrumors 68040

There are several ways to hold the phone securely that doesn't obscure that corner. I've never dropped a phone cause I was holding it to my ear (usually it slips out of my purse or I drop my purse while juggling stuff or even picking it up with the type of hold that would cause you to lose reception on the iphone 4). And I usually just hold it between my fingers (basically thumb on one side, four fingers on the other). Which leaves plenty of room to avoid that one corner and you can get a firm grip that way.

The 3G was a pretty slippery phone too, you know (that rounded back and sides meant it did tend to slip out easily).

16. abnospam thread starter macrumors regular

abnospam

Our guns hive slightly sensitive triggers, just avoid this by holding the gun backwards.

Yeah, right, no responsibility. Wake up.

17. Mr. Chewbacca macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

Put the zagg film on the back. It will make it just sticky enough. I did it and liked the result.

18. big0mar macrumors regular

Where did you go to law school?

If the trigger is too sensitive, dont buy the gun. You can't be this clueless dude.

19. abnospam thread starter macrumors regular

abnospam

oh yeah, explain why Nintendo added wristbands AND rubber cases to its Wii mote? Why not take the Apple approach and tell customers to F off. Guess their lawyers suck too.

20. admanimal macrumors 68040

Because there was a risk of personal injury from flying Wiimotes. Unless you like to hold your phone over people's heads, dropping it is probably only going to hurt your phone.

21. big0mar macrumors regular

Nintendo did that as a courtesy to customers. Apple is not legally obligated to provide any courtesy. Might be a bad business decision, but by no means are they required by law to do so.

22. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

Temporarily closed for clean-up.

Edit: Ok, carry on, but any further insults will result in the thread being closed permanently.